Staff Engineer at Flexport
Flexport is a freight forwarder and logistics platform using modern software to make global trade easier for everyone. We are solving complex problems on a global scale, and disrupting a multi-trillion dollar industry that has remained stubbornly unchanged.
With 13 offices on three continents, we help the world's fastest growing brands manage their international supply chains, providing a fully-managed service for moving goods between any two places on the planet.
Exceptional software development is integral in allowing us to fulfill our mission of making global trade easier for everyone. At Flexport you’ll develop systems that are at the forefront of reshaping the entire logistics & supply chain industries.What you’ll do:
As a Senior/Staff Software Engineer, you will use your Kubernetes expertise to help us transition to k8s. We’re currently running on ECS but with our recent migration to SOA, we’re starting to push the limits. We want to build a modern k8s stack - running 10s of services, service mesh, observability, terraform, etc.
In addition, you’d also act as a Cloud Infrastructure Engineer on the team - which involves maintaining and growing our infra stack, CI/CD pipelines, and related monitoring/alerting. You will work alongside our product engineers to improve the developer experience and production infrastructure.What you’ll bring:
We’re looking for an experienced Kubernetes Engineer with:
- 2+ years of relevant k8s experience
- 3-6+ years of relevant experience in Linux environments
- Demonstrable programming skills with Ruby, Python, or Java
- Strong attention to detail and a love for diagnosing complex problems
- Experience monitoring k8s clusters
- Experience with service meshes
- Experience with relevant AWS services like EC2, EKS, S3, RDS, ELB, etc.
Our production stack is in the cloud on AWS. We run multiple EC2 Ubuntu servers connected to various Postgres RDS databases. Our CI/CD pipeline uses a buildkite CloudFormation template to manage an autoscaling cluster responsible for testing and deployment.
For development, we rely heavily on Docker and ECS to provision development, staging and production environments.Internal Applicant Requirements
- Employees need to be in their current role for 12+ months and in good performance standing before they can be considered for a new role.
- Please talk with your current manager before applying to this role.
- Be prepared to share the following information;
- Goals for taking on the new role;
- Any success drivers you feel are relevant; and
- Why you’ll add value to the team on day one.
- We empower our employees to find career opportunities by creating transparency for all open roles and making decisions in a fair and timely way.
- We play the long game and are dedicated to providing opportunities at the right time in the business cycle to make sure our customer’s experience is protected. All squad positions will remain in place during peak season of September-December.
- Flexport employees are our most valuable asset and should have a positive experience when being considered for an internal opportunity.
- We will adjust your compensation to align it with the salary range for that role and local market. We will offer relocation assistance if you relocate to another office.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Want to learn more about internal movement at Flexport? Check out this page!