Staff Software Development Engineer - Backend
From the very beginning, OfferUp has believed that the right people united by the right mission can redefine the possible.
OfferUp is now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the US. We connect millions of people every day, but we’re still as committed as ever to the founding mission: to build the simplest, most trustworthy local marketplace. We help bring people together in their communities to exchange value, and we think that exchange is the foundation for a kind of commerce that redefines what “value” really means. In our world, the things we buy and sell are just the primer for the really important stuff, like meeting our neighbors, getting more connected to the places we live and the things that live with us, and creating a marketplace where everyone has something to offer.
AT A GLANCE
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
We are looking for experienced Software Engineers to join our Backend Engineering Team. You solve problems by building things, and have a knack for efficient use of data structures and algorithms for performant services. You convert big ideas into practical designs. You don't just know the latest technology; you understand how to use it and why it exists. You will make an impact on a fast-moving, rapidly iterating engineering team; building core backend services and features for the OfferUp application.
- Coding in Java and/or Python
- Collaborate with front-end developers (iOS, Android, Web), on building new features, and iterating on existing features
- Dedicated to optimizing the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow
- Creation and implementation of significant portions of the OfferUp infrastructure
- Work with the Product Managers to design and implement new features for the OfferUp Application
- 7+ years professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following - Java, Python, C/C++, Golang, Scala, PHP (or equivalent programming language)
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Experience with building highly-scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Above all, an insatiable desire and ability to learn
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Come do work that matters. Join a team that believes when we all work together, we get more out of things.