Staff Software Development Engineer - Commerce at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
OfferUp is looking for an experienced developer to lead efforts for the Commerce team. The team builds systems that will broaden the catalog of goods available to buyers and enable sellers to sell their goods in a few simple clicks. The team owns multiple services like ordering, fulfillment, returns, billing and plays a key role in making OfferUp as a top shipping app on both iOS and AD stores.
In many organizations, your role begins and ends with the code. On our team, we’re different. You own a feature from concept to fruition. Your responsibilities will include everything from writing well-architected and thoroughly tested code to rolling out the feature by analyzing metrics. You also get to take ownership beyond your technical area by working with cross-functional team members.
As an experienced developer, you will set the technical strategy for our team, build highly scalable pipelines to ingest rich metadata content for our systems and continuously improve our engineering/operational excellence.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Work closely with BizOps, Product, CX, UX in establishing our commerce strategy
- Develop, Own and Manage services and systems for ordering, fulfillment and payments domains
- Work collaboratively with cross-functional teams (Merchants Api, Discovery, Integrity) to design and implement new features
- Drive engineering and operational excellence across Commerce systems and OfferUp-wide backend teams
- Collaborate with OfferUp-wide engineering teams to improve processes, surface common pain points, develop solutions and evangelize best practices
- Identify when to replace and when to rebuild legacy systems
- Support, mentor, and help other engineers in the team
- Participate in a reasonable on-call rotations with the rest of the team
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- 8+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Strong coding skills in Java, Python, Scala, Golang or any other modern programming language coupled with strong knowledge in object-oriented design and microservices architecture
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or a related discipline
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with marketplaces or payments
- Experience writing code in Python or Java
- Experience in building microservices
- Experience with cloud infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure)
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.