Staff Software Development Engineer - Discovery at OfferUp
OfferUp is changing how people buy and sell locally by making it as easy as taking and sharing a photo from your phone. We are not just about connecting buyers and sellers; we are about creating a simple and safe marketplace that changes people’s lives. We are a rapidly growing team in Seattle looking to bring on more passionate, motivated, and curious individuals who want to be a part of our fast growing team.
The Discovery team is responsible for showing the most relevant content to users and for helping buyers find what they are looking for on OfferUp. We like to think of our charter as being the “Google for OfferUp”. Our team leverages technologies such as ElasticSearch and a multitude of ML models to show the most relevant content to users and are constantly working to improve search. The team manages some of the highest QPS services within OfferUp. We have barely scratched the surface in terms of what we want to do and the possibilities are huge.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- Geekwire App of Year
- 60+ Million Downloads
The OfferUp Discovery Team is looking for a Tech Lead to join us as we disrupt the local mobile marketplace and provide the best experience for buyers and sellers.
As a Tech lead, you will have the opportunity to define the technical roadmap of the team, bring industry best practices to OfferUp, own projects from conception to delivery, lead architecture discussions and mentor engineers.
You’ll also be responsible for operational excellence of the Discovery systems. You will work with our UX, Client and Product teams and other Tech leads to come up with new efficient solutions and iterate on existing ones. You share our passion for design, have a strong background in scalable backend systems and have experience designing solutions for mobile clients.
- Responsible for operational excellence of the team.
- Cross-functional point of contact for technical questions with other Tech Leads, TPMs, Product.
- Provide mentorship, technical direction to team members on a day to day basis.
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies/best practices to maximize development efficiency
- Dedicated to optimizing the performance and scalability of the OfferUp infrastructure as the service continues to grow
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation.
- Collaborate with third party providers on an as-needed basis, and evaluate/debug/implement 3rd party SDKs.
- Create solutions and/or frameworks that make other team members better and faster
- 8+ years professional software engineering experience
- Demonstrate strong coding skills in any one of the following - Java, .NET, Python, C/C++, Golang, Scala, PHP (or equivalent programming language)
- Prior proven experience of being a technical lead of a team of 4+ members
- Excellent knowledge of Data Structures and Algorithms
- Experience with building highly scalable web services
- Be comfortable designing services on top of a cloud infrastructure like AWS
- Above all, an insatiable desire and ability to learn
- Must be eligible to work in the United States
- Exceptional self-management skills during the execution of complex problems and tasks
- You desire a fast moving, continuous flow development environment
- Experienced with Agile development
- BS or MS in Computer Science or related discipline
- Eligible to work in the United States
Nice to have
- Search domain experience
- Scrum master experience
- Github repo with your own code we can view
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally...Come join the team and take the ride of your life!
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.