Staff Software Engineer, Axon Respond at Axon
While enterprise collaboration has experienced a sea of change in the past 10 years (think Zoom, Slack, and a bevy of role and domain specific tools), public safety has largely been left behind. Though police officers, firefighters, and emergency medical services personnel put themselves in harm's way on a daily basis, their ability to communicate and coordinate is hampered by disjointed systems, arcane user interfaces, and technology that was implemented before (and without) modern product design and technology. The news is full of examples of first responders lacking critical information, which leads to less than ideal outcomes.
Axon is in a unique position to address this problem. As the the largest provider of de-escalation training and the creator of the world's first LTE-connected body camera, we are leading the charge to connect first responders, enable them to make more intelligent decisions, and ultimately save more lives. To that end, the Real Time Ops team is creating a new product category: Axon Respond. Axon Respond integrates sensors, highly important data, and text/voice/video communications into a single platform that enables lightning-fast collaboration. Like all teams at Axon, we value transparency and bias for action, and are looking for talented people from all backgrounds to join us in pulling the future forward into today.
As a staff software engineer on the Respond platform team, you will be coordinating with other staff engineers to drive the technical direction for Respond across our client and backend systems. Your strong system design skills will aid you in taking an holistic approach to ensuring that Respond is bullet-proof and fault-tolerant against any type of failure.
You are a force multiplier on any team that you have worked on. You will be working intimately with senior engineers on other teams to review their architecture designs and steer them in the correct direction. You are a great collaborator and coach, and will mentor our next set of senior engineers.
Your customer empathy and eagerness to understand users and their problems allows you to balance competing business and engineering priorities, helping to steer the team to achieve the best outcomes. As a technical leader, you will advise our senior director of engineering on the right long-term technical initiatives to invest in.
Join us to work with a passionate, mission-driven group of folks who want to positively impact the lives of first responders and those that they serve.
- Working with other staff engineers and technical product managers to evaluate our top engineering risks
- Reviewing key architecture designs from both the platform team as well as our experience teams to ensure the whole organization is moving in the right direction
- Build and own services, components, and experiences that adhere to our high bar on availability, performance, and usability in this mission-critical space
- Set a high technical bar for the team by writing well-tested, maintainable code and leading code and technical design reviews
- Provide leadership and mentorship to other software engineers across frontend and backend
- Work across teams with Product, Design, and Engineering to drive and deliver on our product roadmap
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience designing and delivering features of highly-available, scalable cloud-based systems
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Experience working with event-based systems
- Experience with React and Redux
- Good Linux/Unix/Mac experience
- A passion for delighting end users and a hunger for novel challenges