Making and receiving voice calls are a key component of the Outreach product offering. Every month, Outreach customers complete more than 8 million calls with their prospects on our voice platform. The Voice Experience Team is hiring software engineers to increase its momentum in this space. If you have experience building high availability voice communication experiences on top of open-source real-time communication software and commercial communications platform APIs, we’d love to talk to you about this opportunity.
Telecom web development is a little different from other web development: The features we build are inherently heavy on state, complex in workflow, and include extensive third-party integrations. While a lot of telecommunications problems are “solved” in the realm of PBX software, our customers need more. As a Staff Front-End Engineer you are expected to architect, develop and release user-facing features and ensure the quality of our product continues to serve the needs of our customers.
You’ll be building experiences to ensure calling is simple, reliable, and crystal clear; reducing the time our customers waste clicking around or performing repetitive actions so they can focus on what matters most - interacting with their prospects. To do this you’ll have to get a little creative, build on top of a lot of open source technology, and stay focused on Outreach’s core value proposition of revenue efficiency.
About the Team
On the Voice Experience Team we:
- Own the web-based front-end implementation and experience for voice calling and messaging.
- Ship code to production every day
- Are highly collaborative and foster a learning environment
- Do Agile development, with Kanban and regular retrospectives
- Function in a highly progressive, quick-iteration environment focused on delivering consistent, incremental customer value
- Have something new to demo every week
The team’s mission is to continually reduce the time spent by customer-facing representatives on data access and modification across different systems. We provide customers with meaningful and relevant data aggregated at their fingertips, to increase the time they can invest in adding value for their customers.
We’re currently shoring up the core functionality of our telecom product, including better SMS support, call center functionality, improving monitoring, and improving ease-of-use. In the long term we want to give customers the same edge with calling and messaging that they have with email: the ability to optimize and constantly improve how they interact with customers. We will also face new challenges as we continue to scale out to ten times the volume of calling we have today and beyond. Together, these efforts present a diverse gamut of work that will help enhance Outreach’s competitive edge by making our customers more effective.
Your Daily Adventures Will Include
- Partnering with product managers, designers, and analysts to deeply understand the needs of our users and build a product that serves those needs
- Working with commercial CPaaS APIs and open-source real-time communication software to manage calls, messages, and security
- Finding ways to engineer high availability into a system that has lots of moving parts
- Working with stakeholders to make sure our customers have the tools they need to be successful on our platform
- Setting direction for the team and help guide engineering vision
- Working on one of the most visible parts of Outreach’s product - to both our customers and the rest of our organization
- Improving the team and company – you will be an active participant in our culture (mentorship, interviewing, and new initiatives)
- Owning relationships with other engineering teams and collaborate with other functions within Outreach
- 7+ years of professional software development experience
- Previous success developing and shipping a large-scale web application with a customer-empathetic mindset
- Familiarity with existing CPaaS providers and their APIs, including knowledge of open source VOIP systems
- Proven track record of senior technical leadership at a company with a strong engineering culture
- Strong knowledge of shipping impactful and complex software projects
- Ability to set technical and cultural standards for engineers
Why You’ll Love It Here
• Generous medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees and their dependents
• Flexible time off
• 401k to help you save for the future
• Company-organized and personal paid volunteer days to support the community that supports us
• Fun company and team outings (or virtual events these days!) because we play just as hard as we work
• Diversity and inclusion programs that promote employee resource groups like OWN (Outreach Women's Network), AAPI, Rainbow (LGBTQIA+), Gender+, LatinX, Black Excellence, Disability Community, and Veterans
• A parental leave program that includes not just extended time off but options for a paid night nurse, food delivery, gradual return to work, and the Gottman Institute's Bringing Home Baby course for new parents
• Employee referral bonuses to encourage the addition of great new people to the team
• Plus, unlimited snacks and beverages in our kitchen (once we're back in the office, that is!)
• We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status