The status quo for technical interviewing doesn’t meet the needs of candidates or hiring companies. Haphazard interview experiences, subjective evaluations, and lack of capacity and expertise mean too many companies miss their hiring goals and miss out on great software engineers. At Karat, it's our mission to create better outcomes for companies and candidates by making every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable.
Karat conducts first-round technical interviews on behalf of companies including Indeed, Atlassian, Intuit, Peloton, The New York Times and Wayfair. We do this through a community of Interview Engineers who are equipped with Karat's interviewing platform, battle-tested questions, and data-informed best practices.
The result is highly predictive and fair interviews at scale that candidates truly enjoy. Karat has amassed the largest and most robust dataset of structured interview intelligence to produce never-before-seen hiring analytics.
As the world continues to transition to virtual work, and the fairness of hiring practices in the tech industry come under greater scrutiny, Karat is uniquely positioned to be a valuable, strategic partner as companies transition to 100% remote hiring.
Founded in 2014, Karat is a privately held and venture-funded company based in Seattle.Engineering at Karat
As a Staff Software Engineer at Karat, you will work on an exciting mission with a highly collaborative team and relatable product. As a core member of our growing company, you will work closely with leaders and members of other teams, contribute to team culture and practices, and mentor members of the product team. We're looking for individuals hungry to take ownership of new projects and initiatives, making a significant impact on the product and beyond.
You will have the opportunity to be a technical leader on a team working to build products serving engineers, candidates, and internal teams as we scale. Your work will be the bridge between users, providing the backbone of our platform.
- Lay the foundation for new systems while revamping the existing
- Build up engineers through direct mentorship and strategic processes
- Remain flexible enough to handle all of the unknowns that come with fast growth in the company
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define features and build powerful and easy-to-use products and customer-facing workflow tools
- Own projects from design to release and beyond
- 10+ years developing and launching web applications/systems into a production environment
- Technical leadership experience across projects and teams
- Deep proficiency in at least one of Ruby, Python, or similar language
- Comfortable in a Unix/Linux workflow
- Prior experience designing and building APIs
- Strong ability to effectively identify and pursue challenging problems
- Some project management experience, ability to lead a project end-to-end
- Interviewing, teaching, and/or mentoring experience as it will help you relate to our mission and culture
- Excellent English communication skills to collaborate with a service-oriented team
Benefits of joining Karat:
While doing meaningful work is rewarding in itself, we also offer the following programs and benefits for all our full-time employees:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Medical / dental / vision insurance
- Flexible vacation and paid company holidays
- Paid parental leave
- State-of-the-art equipment for your work station
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.