Staff Systems Engineer at ServiceNow
ServiceNow is making the world of work, work better for people. Our cloud‑based platform and solutions deliver digital workflows that create great experiences and unlock productivity for employees and the enterprise. We're growing fast, innovating faster, and making an impact on our customers' and employees' lives in significant and important ways. With over 6,900 customers, we serve approximately 80% of the Fortune 500, and we're on the 2020 list of FORTUNE World's Most Admired Companies.®
We're looking for people who are ready to roll up their sleeves and help us build on our incredible momentum, our diverse, engaged workforce, and our purpose to make the world of work, work better.
Learn more on Life at Now blog and hear from our employees about their experiences working at ServiceNow.
This position reports to: Sr. Manager, Cloud Email Services
The Cloud Email Services team at ServiceNow is looking for an experienced Email and Deliverability Engineer to enhance our large-scale email delivery cloud and improve deliverability of the billions of messages we send and receive every week. We’re looking for a skilled systems engineer and developer who can help craft the technology and processes needed to sustain ServiceNow’s rapid growth and pace of innovation.
What you get to do in this role:
- Manage and enhance a global-scale hybrid cloud of email servers and related services using automated tools and infrastructure as code.
- Work across the entire ServiceNow organization to support our customers through partnerships as wide-ranging as Customer Support to Global Account Teams.
- Work as part of a team that writes, reviews, tests, and deploys everything as code.
- Collaborate with peer teams who have built world class networking and orchestration solutions.
- Write policies, plans and software to continuously improve our ability to deliver mail to hundreds of millions of customers every day.
- Build orchestration workflows by leveraging features of the ServiceNow platform.
- Research and implement new open-source and commercial tools, technologies and methodologies.
To be successful in this role you have:
- Have experience operating email services “at scale” in a production environment, using configuration management tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible. Experience at large ISPs, Email Service Providers, Email Marketing Providers, large Universities or similar strongly preferred.
- Have significant experience with mail MTAs and MDAs, DNS (SPF, DKIM, DMARC) and related technologies.
- Understand “deliverability” and can monitor/manage it using tools such as MXToolBox, 250OK or similar.
- Have a deep understanding of Linux servers and their components, including networking, storage, and software packaging.
- Are data-driven, using metrics/monitoring systems such as Prometheus (or similar) to guide architecture, design and engineering decisions.
- Are comfortable with your ability to design, write and debug code in a team setting. You should also have experience writing test specifications and understand the fundamentals of test automation.
- Have experience with a variety of open-source tools used in the operation of a production computing environment.
- Can figure things out – you’ll be working with a wide variety of systems technologies. There is plenty of help, but to be successful you will need to be capable of digging deep into mail logs using Splunk and similar tools.
- Are an excellent oral and written communicator; can communicate technical subjects to a non-technical audience.
- Have integrity, honesty and can uphold ServiceNow’s values.
ServiceNow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin or nationality, ancestry, age, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, veteran status or any other category protected by law.
All new employees hired in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to such exceptions as required by law. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of full vaccination or have an approved accommodation, by your start date. Visit our Candidate FAQ page to learn more.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact us at [email protected] for assistance.
For positions requiring access to technical data subject to export control regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR), ServiceNow may have to obtain export licensing approval from the U.S. Government for certain individuals. All employment is contingent upon ServiceNow obtaining any export license or other approval that may be required by the U.S. Government.
Please Note: Fraudulent job postings/job scams are increasingly common. Click here to learn what to watch out for and how to protect yourself. All genuine ServiceNow job postings can be found through the ServiceNow Careers site.
Work personas are categories that are assigned to employees depending on the nature of their work. Employees will fall into one of three categories: Remote, Flexible or Required in Office.
Required in Office
A required in office work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office. This persona is required to work from their assigned workplace location 100% of the work week based on the business needs of their role.
A flexible work persona is defined as an employee who is contracted to work from or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office and will work from their assigned workplace location roughly 3 days/week or less (generally around 40-60% of the work week). Flexible employees may choose to work the remaining working time from their workplace location or home. Flexible employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.
A remote work persona is defined as an employee who performs their responsibilities exclusively outside of a ServiceNow workplace and is not contracted or aligned to a ServiceNow-affiliated office, including those whose place of work (pursuant to their terms and conditions of employment) is their home. Remote employees are required to work within their state, province, region, or country of employment.