Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
Rover.com is looking for VP of Engineering to lead software engineering for product development. Specifically, this role will lead the software engineering teams that work along-side Rover’s product management, analytics and design teams to create consumer-facing services, products, features and functionality.
In this role, you will be highly visible and have significant impact in the outcomes of the business. You will be working on Rover’s most meaningful and strategic business opportunities, and play a key role at the intersection of technology and product strategy.
You will develop and implement strategic plans and objectives for the organization in alignment with corporate strategy. You will influence investment and resource trade-off decisions by providing technical strategy and leadership.
You will serve as a thought-partner for our product management team in determining how to get the most business value from our technology investments. The ways that product and technology are designed, phased, and implemented all have significant impact on return-on-investment. You will be expected to engage with others on the product development team to plan optimal investments.
You will manage a large, multi-layered engineering team with engineers in multiple countries. You will be responsible for these teams delivering on-time and at-quality by developing strategic plans to ensure successful implementations of action plans and objectives where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth knowledge of the company, consumers, competitors, as well as technology and software development practices.
You will coach and mentor the teams, and evolve processes to drive velocity, schedule accuracy and increase quality. You will be expected to continuously iterate and optimize for the purpose of driving impact.
You will recruit, manage, and work to create positive culture in line with Rover’s Core Values that drives successful results, and employee engagement and retention. And, serve as a representative and ambassador for Rover to the industry and community.
You are a qualified candidate for this role if you a) have led a 75+ person engineering team, b) have excellent Agile project management skills, c) have worked on consumer-facing Internet products that d) are built with open source software.
Requirements and Qualifications
• You have experience with large-scale consumer-facing web and mobile apps
• You have experience partnering with product management to shape product direction
• Plus: experience with two-sided marketplace businesses is a major plus
• You have 10+ years experience managing high-growth engineering organizations
• You have managed teams of more than 75 engineers including experience managing directors and managers
• You have experience recruiting and hiring directors and managers
• You have experience managing multiple engineering teams in multiple locations including in-house, near- and offshore
• You have an excellent understanding of Agile software development practices and how to adapt them appropriately
• You have experience with Rover’s technology stack or similar: Amazon Web Services, Python/Django, React, Docker, Elastic Search, iOS/ObjC/Swift, Android/Java/Kotlin, React Native
• You have a strong sense of best practices for software engineering, technical design and application architecture
• Plus: experience decomposing monolithic applications toward a service-oriented architecture
Experience, Education and Values:
• You have 10+ years in technology and engineering management roles
• You have a degree in CS, STEM or equivalent experience; an MBA is a plus
• Your work experience includes having worked at small- or medium-sized companies
• Your values align with Rover's Core Values
Benefits of Working at Rover.com:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- 4 weeks paid time off
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Free catered lunches semi-monthly
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more
- 50 free dog walks a year