VP Security, CISO / CSO
As VP Security, CISO / CSO, you’ll be responsible for implementing and leading the overall IT security strategy for Company, including risk, compliance, governance and cyber security in a growing landscape of connected devices and IoT, and business, customer and consumer data. You will be accountable for developing a best-in-class security function and leading and inspiring a growing team of infosec professionals.
At Avalara, a significant part of our engineering culture is humility, and we are looking for a leader that embraces this trait. We never assume we have all the answers. We know we can improve and embrace all opportunities to learn – from others, and from our own mistakes. Job descriptions are only starting points.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Drive the overarching strategy for how Company handles IT security, risk and compliance challenges.
- Drive evangelization and education of cyber security services by communicating the vision and value.
- Design and implement procedures and controls necessary to ensure and protect the safety and security of all information system assets within the organization, including prevention of intentional or inadvertent access, modification, disclosure, or destruction.
- Partner with Company on horizontal CISO capabilities, lending opportunity for additional growth.
- Frequently present to top leadership in the business and function on technical strategy, industry trends and competitor insight.
- Partner with customers to deliver on their outcomes and identify ways to position solutions to best deliver for the business.
- Be comfortable in front of an audience and present both internally and externally on areas of expertise within cyber security.
- Bring expertise in addressing the significant challenges in identifying and hiring top industrial security talent, as this segment of talent is in short supply and high demand; attract, inspire and develop a team of exceptional talent.
- Influence leaders across the Company Business Units, as well as with customers/prospects.
- Spearhead the relationship development and technology evaluation for new prospective partnerships and business development activity.
- Analyze and solve complex business problems by leveraging industry knowledge and expertise and being a proactive thinker offering recommendations in cyber security to drive change and deliver results.
- Partner with legal, sales, and other departments for form relationships and set expectations.
- At least 10 years prior experience managing information security at commercial software companies.
- Engineering degree or similar experience.
- Demonstrated history of managing teams of operations in a 24/7/365 mission critical environment, including managing around-the-clock global response teams.
- Expert-level understanding of today’s IT threat landscape and information security architectures, as well as applicable laws, regulations, and compliance frameworks (SOC I/II, ISO 27001, PCI-DSS, NACHA, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate at an executive level to drive the right response and investments to deal with risk.
- Proven experience instituting a “culture of security” where security becomes ingrained in every employees day to day activities.
- Industry certifications such as CISSP, CISSLP, or CISSP-ISSMP.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with sales and excise tax, VAT, and other transactional tax requirements by delivering comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions that are fast, accurate, and easy to use. Avalara’s end-to-end suite of solutions is designed to effectively manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities in the United States and internationally.
Avalara offers hundreds of pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications. The company processes millions of tax transactions for customers and free users every day, files hundreds of thousands of transactional tax returns per year, and manages millions of exemption certificates and other compliance related documents.
Avalara’s venture capital investors include Sageview Capital, Battery Ventures, Warburg Pincus, Technology Crossover Ventures, Arthur Ventures, and other institutional and individual investors. Avalara employs more than 1000 people at its headquarters in Seattle, WA and in offices across the U.S. and in London, England and Pune, India.