Director of Accounting
You are an experienced leader. You have played a key role in leading and scaling up an accounting department in a public company environment, or have lead audit teams on public company audits. You have led, mentored and motivated a team and worked to support accounting related activities, such as technical research, supporting the monthly close process and internal control compliance. You have experience supporting and reviewing SEC filings. You have worked with your team, as well as senior leadership outside the accounting function, to drive growth and scalability and have experience coordinating with an international accounting team to develop common processes.
We are a group of smart, motivated and fun-loving people, who happen to have a real passion for numbers, supporting a rapidly growing, global SaaS business with over $180 million in revenue during 2017. We operate with openness, we are accountable and we strive for continuous improvement while delivering extraordinary results.
As Director of Accounting, you will handle the general accounting function and assist leadership team in the development of organizational strategies in line with corporate objectives. Additionally, you will serve as our technical accounting authority ensuring Apptio’s overall compliance with GAAP, and will review internal and external reporting for completeness, accuracy and compliance with applicable regulations. GAAP compliance includes reviewing and updating our existing technical documentation as necessary based on changes in our business, as well as technical research, interpretation and documentation for new accounting guidance. You will also manage the internal control process for the accounting function, working closely with our SOX team to ensure controls are designed and operating effectively. In addition, you will play a key role in the selection and implementation of new system-related tools to improve manual or inefficient processes.
Apptio is scaling rapidly, so this position requires a high-energy individual who is driven to succeed with a proven ability to develop people, handle large workloads, to apply professional judgement in ambiguous situations to arrive at appropriate conclusions, to prioritize effectively, to communicate clearly, and to actively deliver extraordinary results. You will have prior work experience in a publicly traded multinational organization in a financial leadership position and/or public accounting experience leading public company audits at a manager level or above. This position reports to the VP, Corporate Controller based in Bellevue, WA, USA.
This is a rare opportunity to play a key leadership role in a high-growth publicly traded technology company – don’t miss it!
- Lead a strong team of professional accountants. This includes coaching and mentoring, managing deliverables, developing goals, setting expectations and providing ongoing feedback on performance and development opportunities.
- Develop and communicate a clear vision for the accounting team aligned with our overall corporate objectives
- Lead and improve the month-end close function.
- Lead, monitor and improve our internal controls over financial reporting.
- Research, analyze and conclude on technical accounting issues, including the preparation of memorandums regarding the Company’s position in a clear, logical and comprehensive manner
- Monitor and ensure timely identification of evolving accounting guidance and potential impacts on the company
- Ability to understand contract terms and other business matters and translate them into the appropriate application of U.S. GAAP
- Work closely with various departments in addressing day-to-day business activities and associated accounting implications and recommend practical solutions associated with the contemplated business transactions
- Provide ongoing technical training for the accounting organization and technical accounting direction to Apptio’s foreign entities on U.S. GAAP treatment of transactions
- Collaborate with the Corporate Controller and the EMEA Accounting Director to develop and maintain Apptio’s financial accounting policies and standards
- Review certain SEC filings, such as Forms 10-Q and 10-K for completeness, accuracy and compliance with applicable regulations
- Coordinate quarterly reviews and annual audits with our external auditors
- Act as the primary contact with external auditors on technical accounting matters
- Provide a high level of customer service within accounting and to our non-accounting business partners
- Other tasks as assigned by the Corporate Controller
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and active CPA license is required
- 8-10 years of relevant work experience (including 4-5 years of recent Big 4 experience)
- Experience working with publicly traded companies
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and SEC reporting rules and regulations, and be able to perform thorough research of accounting issues
- Excellent communication, organizational, process management and presentation skills, and strong attention to detail
- Advanced time-management skills to handle multiple deliverables simultaneously in a fast-paced, high-growth and rapidly changing environment. We’re looking for an individual who can learn complex processes quickly and take on new tasks including leading projects, while also leading recurring functions
- Great problem solving and analytical skill to analyze information, draw conclusions, and develop actionable recommendations
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, and occasional weekend and/or evenings if required to meet deadlines
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaboratively with cross-departmental, international and executive level personnel
- Demonstrates excellent leadership skills and maintain the highest level of ethical standards
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work independently, with general direction and guidance
- Great teammate with the ability to develop collaborative relationships
- Familiarity with NetSuite financials is beneficial
**Apptio benefits include Company-Paid employee health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, Apptio stock and generous contributions to a health savings account. We also offer participation in a flexible spending account, 401k, employee stock purchase plan and other voluntary programs. At corporate office- public transportation reimbursement, free parking, free drinks & snacks.
Apptio is the business management system of record for hybrid IT. We transform the way IT runs its business and makes decisions. With our cloud-based applications, IT leaders lead, plan and optimize their technology investments across on-premises and cloud. With Apptio, IT leaders become strategic partners to the business by demonstrating value of IT investments, accelerate innovation and shift their technology investments from running the business to digital innovation. Hundreds of customers, including more than 40 percent of the Fortune 100, choose Apptio as their business system of record for hybrid IT.
Apptio Inc. is not open to 3rd party solicitation or resumes for our posted FTE positions. Resumes received from 3rd party agencies that are unsolicited will be considered complimentary.
Apptio, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Apptio, Inc. follows applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.