Economist - Marketplace Liquidity
Convoy is a late stage Seattle start-up whose mission is to transport the world's freight with endless capacity and zero waste. We're disrupting the traditional freight brokerage industry by giving shippers instant quotes, real-time shipment location and business analytics, while empowering carriers to find loads they want, drive full more often and get paid more quickly. We have a proven track record of management and fundraising, and we are growing rapidly.
The Liquidity team owns strategically vital problems such as supply balance, market maturity and market competitiveness. Our team shifts paradigms by laying a rigorous microeconomic foundation for reasoning about our marketplace dynamics, allowing us to tackle some of Convoy's most challenging and enduring problems.
We seek an economist with a background in econometrics and applied microeconomics to model and develop strategies for long-term marketplace dynamics. This role will own understanding how and why individual markets develop. At least two years of post-PhD experience in applied microeconomics or one year of post-PhD experience leveraging econometrics in an industry setting is necessary. Experience applying economic analysis to business problems in a tech company is a bonus.
- Build models of marketplace dynamics
- Develop measures of marketplace maturity
- Identify opportunities to accelerate market development
- A PhD in Economics, Applied Economics, or a related field
- Empirical experience with applied microeconomics and econometrics
- 2+ years of post-PhD experience in academia or 1+ year of post-PhD experience in industry
- Proficiency in R/Python and SQL
- Be thoughtful but practical; you recognize nuance yet know when to simplify
- Communicate technical findings to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Speak up for your expertise in a cross-functional setting
Benefits of working at Convoy:
- Health & Wellness: Taking care of your health comes first. Convoy covers 100% of your medical, dental, and vision premiums, and 85% for your family. We also provide access to the gym and showers in our building.
- In-Office Happiness: Enjoy catered meals multiple times through the week, and fully stocked fridges and pantries to keep you running full.
- Commuter Benefits: We transport the world; the least we can do is help get you to work. Every employee receives a fully paid Orca Card to get you around on the bus, light rail, or water taxi. We also provide locked bike storage if you prefer to pedal in.
- Time Off: Life outside of work matters! Convoy has a flexible vacation policy, so take the time off you need- we don’t track vacation or sick time. We also offer generous parental leave for those expecting new additions to their family.
- Compensation: We offer market competitive compensation, including stock options and a 401k plan to help save for retirement.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!
Read Full Job Description