Financial Analyst - Technical & Operations at Rover
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:01 a.m. (PST) on Friday, June 21, 2019
Who we are:
Rover.com connects pet parents with the world’s largest network of pet sitters and dog walkers. On Rover, pet parents can easily discover, book, and manage personalized care for their dogs including pet sitting, dog walking, and doggy day care. Founded in 2011 on the belief that everyone should have the opportunity to experience the unconditional love of a dog, Rover improves and simplifies life for pet parents and the dogs they love.
Our global headquarters are in Seattle, Washington in the United States, working closely with our teams in Spokane, Berlin, London, and Barcelona. We have a track record of being recognized as a great place to work, having been named among Seattle's 'Best Places to Work' in Seattle Business Magazine and the Puget Sound Business Journal for three years running. We're an agile, fast-growing company, and our leadership comes from some of the world's most respected tech companies. Our pioneering approach to people and pups alike landed us on the list of GeekWire’s Next Tech Titan in 2019 and the World's Most Innovative Companies in 2018 by Fast Company. Needless to say (but we're going to say it anyway)—we love dogs, and we wouldn't dream of going to work without them by our sides.
Who we're looking for:
The Financial Analyst is responsible for analyzing, modeling and reporting on the numerous financial metrics of the Engineering, Product and Shared Service Organizations. As a member of the FP&A team at Rover, you will provide deep domain expertise and analytics support to quantitatively-minded individuals in FP&A and Sr Leadership while partnering with the organization in its entirety. You will develop analysis and financial management by partnering with internal stakeholders, Sr leadership and the Head of FP&A. The right person will be an operational finance agent who would play an integral part in helping further the predictability of Rover’s business.
Why we’ll hire you:
- You are familiar with how a tech company operates - Software Engineering, Product Development, and Hosting and know that Shared Services help support those teams (Legal, IT, Facilities)
- You are scary good with data. You look at charts, furrow your eyebrows, and observe that something doesn’t seem quite right. Others see trends; you see outliers. Financial accounting, general ledger reviews, reclass and accruals, variance analysis, invoice payment issues - these things are second nature to you.
- You have deep empathy for the business owners you will support. You understand at a cellular level that people have jobs to do and decisions to make, and it is your job to help them do that in as data-driven a way as possible.
- You have an uncanny ability to get to the question behind the question. You do not accept presuppositions, and are driven to find solutions and novel approaches; to figure out what can be done to move the business forward, in the messy real world of imperfect information.
- You show a pattern of being self-started, self-taught, and self-directed. You are your own QA team, producing quality analysis and creating novel ways to ensure accuracy in reporting and forecasting.
At a high level, you will have three core areas of focus:
- Be a Financial Analyst, working with the team to provide day to day support in financial planning (forecasting), reporting and analysis as it relates to our financial, headcount and operational metrics, specifically partnering with the Engineering (Development and IT), Product and Shared Services leaders to ensure key performance targets are being met.
- Partner with accounting and operational business owners to ensure financial accuracy, manage expenses, update forecasts, and narrate financial story to senior leadership.
- Scale and transition from startup to mature enterprise - we need the best people on board to help us refine our planning processes, and ensure financial management and accountability are spread throughout the organization
Your toolset includes:
- Retrieving and manipulating large datasets
- Experience and a passion for fast paced, high growth companies
- Periscope, Tableau, Power BI or similar data visualization tools
- Netsuite, Hyperion, Host Analytics, Adaptive Planning, or other EPM tools
- Fundamentals of financial accounting, analytics and internal customer service
- BS in Finance, Accounting, Math, Statistics, Business, or Computer science preferred - the main thing is you have learned how to think analytically.
- At least 3 years in corporate finance / operational FP&A at either a high-growth tech startup or an established technology company
- Deep understanding of accounting rules, and the impacts to financial forecasting
- Extraordinary Excel / financial modeling skills. Best practices are second-nature, you can handle complexity but strive for simplicity, and are constantly excited by new tips and tricks
- Attention to detail combined with swift implementation. We need to do multiple things quickly and we need to do them well
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Specifically, you know how to present analytics results to the business in a useful and consumable way. You proactively reach out to management to engage in discussions and share regular updates on the business
- High emotional intelligence and adept communication are required in our fast-moving environment
Benefits of working for Rover:
- Competitive compensation
- Stock options
- Competitive benefits package, including medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Bring your dog to work (and unlimited puppy time)
- Doggy benefits, including $1000 toward adopting your first dog
- 50 free dog walks per year using our on-demand dog walking service
- Doggy PTO – $400 in pet sitting services on Rover.com
- Stocked fridges, coffee, soda, and lots of treats (for humans and dogs)
- Regular team activities, including happy hours, snow tubing, game nights, and more!
This position is based at Rover HQ in Downtown Seattle. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Read Full Job Description