Financial Analyst, Temporary
Paying the right way, getting paid what you’re worth — it’s complicated, and it matters. Compensation used to be a dark art. Not anymore. PayScale helps employers and their employees understand the right pay for every position and effectively communicate about compensation.
PayScale pioneered the use of big data and unique matching algorithms to power the world’s most advanced compensation platform and continues to be the compensation market leader, featured in g2 Crowd's 100 Best Software Companies for 2018, based on user reviews.
What We Do: The PayScale FP&A team is a key part of the business. We emphasize a tight and positive partnership with the business to deliver the best customer experience while instilling a rigorous controllership environment.
What You Do: As a key member of the team, you will play a highly critical and visible role across the organization in constantly improving processes in data collection and analysis, and providing extraordinary decision support to leadership and the executive team.
Who you are:
- You are a naturally curious person.
- You have a strong foundation in finance and quantitative analysis but are more than just a spreadsheet jockey or number cruncher.
- You are awesome at thinking critically, and problem solving.
- You love learning about and recommending new systems and processes.
We need someone who has the chops to interpret data, conduct rigorous analysis, and has the confidence to make recommendations and improvements to leadership.
Success in this role requires a high-level of engagement with business partners and therefore requires exceptional interpersonal skills, a focus on teamwork, collaboration, and business sense. You will be a leader in our business, on a high performing team at a fast growing company.
Day-in-the-Life: As a Financial Analyst at PayScale, you will not have a typical day, because our day-to-day can change on a dime. But here's a few things you will do here:
- Understand, extract, and automate data flows into financial software.
- Strive for operational improvement and automation of our financial reporting provided to leadership.
- Prepare monthly metrics reporting support, assist with the monthly operating budget results and forecast updates by collaborating with leadership.
- Work with leadership to understand and develop new ways to analyze our financial results with emphasis on influencing profitability.
- Preparing insightful and actionable analysis and presentations for senior management with regard to performance and decision-making.
- Ad-hoc scenario analysis that drives actionable business changes.
- Participate in the monthly close process; investigate and resolve issues.
- Assist in other various company projects and initiatives.
- 2+ year’s financial analysis experience in the technology industry, preferably SaaS or other subscription models.
- BA/BS Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Admin, or similar discipline with analytical bias.
- Technical: you are proficient in Excel and SQL, and are comfortable working with a data warehouse (specifically Snowflake).
- Time management: you are able to re-prioritize on a moment's notice based on shifting business needs.
- Communication: you are great at effectively working with and communicating to senior leadership.
- Accuracy: you strive for excellence and have great attention to detail.
- Adaptive Insights
- Snowflake Data Warehouse
Meet Your Manager: This position reports to Derek Schlicker, the VP of FP&A. Derek has been with the company since 2014, and has helped lead the company through a ton of growth, including 2 major transactions. Derek has worked in technology since day 1 in the Seattle area, with companies at various sizes, from pre-angel round to IPO and post-IPO.
Derek's favorite thing about PayScale is our dedication to our mission that transparent and fact based discussions about compensation leads to the best outcomes - for the employee and the company.
Derek is a hands-off manager who gives his team agency to own their scope, move quickly, and accomplish great things.
Hiring Process: “Change is the only constant in life (and PayScale)” – Heraclites (okay, so we paraphrased a bit). The hiring process outlined below is a rough overview, and is subject to change based on business priority, interviewer availability, etc.
- Recruiter Screen
- Excel Exercise
- Onsite interview with the team
- Hiring decision
PayScale provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. PayScale complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Temporary employees are eligible for some benefits.