At Assurance we are disrupting the antiquated and inefficient world of insurance and financial services. Our team of world class software engineers, data scientists, business and finance professionals are modernizing how people obtain and manage their financial life all through our powerful platform ecosystem. Founded only 5 years ago, the company has grown rapidly, achieving more than $375M of revenue in 2020. We are continuing our rapid growth as we expand our product offerings and footprint, which continues to present new and exciting challenges as we push our industry into its future. We eliminate waste throughout the industry and provide a better buying experience, making the complex simple and providing valuable solutions to improve people's lives. We are humble, driven, and committed to improving the lives of millions.
Assurance IQ is seeking an Accounting Manager to own and transform the company’s accounting, internal controls, financial reporting, and related processes.
The ideal candidate is a strong leader with robust accounting management experience, who possesses exceptional organization and problem-solving skills. They will be a hands-on and results-oriented individual who has deep experience successfully building and/or transforming financial processes and reporting capabilities within a public company. Primary responsibilities include preparation of the US GAAP financial statements, analysis of and reporting financial results to senior leadership, management of accounts payable and receivable processes, optimization of key finance processes and audit support.
- Provide leadership in alignment with the overall department and corporate objectives. Hire, coach, train and lead a high caliber and diverse team of professional accountants.
- Oversee accounting staff including accounts payable, accounts receivable, and offshore team.
- Manage the monthly financial close processes. Ensure changes in business operations are accurately captured in the financial results.
- Analyze business & financial results providing insight and analysis to support the business in making strategic decisions.
- Lead the preparation of the quarterly results review package for senior leadership
- Perform technical accounting research, prepare memos and facilitate discussion with accounting leadership and the Accounting Policy team to reach alignment on accounting treatment.
- Review journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, variance analyses, and disclosure schedules in accordance with accounting policies.
- Ensure quarter-end review and year-end financial audit processes including goodwill impairment testing are effectively supported and any issues are resolved appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Communicate regularly with operational business partners to identify issues and areas for operational improvement, share knowledge about financial trends and upcoming changes.
- Effectively partner with cross-functional teams to support the business initiatives, drive process improvements, and implement best practices.
- Maintain knowledge of current accounting standards and SEC reporting requirements to ensure proper application in financial reporting.
- Develop accounting solutions for enterprise projects, new product offerings and process simplification and improvements.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressive experience required of which some time in public accounting (big 4, regional audit firm) or relevant experience at a publicly traded company
- Experience as a people manager with a proven record of successfully leading, directing and coaching.
- Possesses an understanding of accounting theory, current accounting issues, accounting systems and internal controls.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound, fact-based decisions and recommendations, including balancing the needs of cross functional business partners.
- Solid track record of crafting a plan and leading multiple projects while meeting set deadlines of team deliverables.
- Self-motivated and high energy person who thrives in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment characterized by growth, change, and opportunity.
- Effectively collaborates and communicates with all levels of management and cross-functional teams.
- Experience in partnering successfully with IT on delivering system solutions and enhancements.
- Understanding of Oracle and analytic tools (Essbase, Looker, SQL, PowerBI) is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA or Chartered Accountant
What Assurance Offers
At Assurance, we strive for audacious goals, and we’re relentless in our pursuit to be the very best we can be, personally and professionally. Our benefits program is intended to enable every Assurance employee to be the best version of themselves. Our culture clears the way for you to challenge yourself and achieve the impossible. Learn more about life at Assurance!
Trust and Autonomy
At Assurance, we hire experts in their field, and we give them the independence and trust to build based on their expertise. We find that brilliant people, given this freedom and trust, will collaborate to build far more amazing things than they could ever be directed to create.
Drive to Innovate
We don't settle for the status quo – we're a team of innovators who believe that there’s almost always a better way. We operate on first principles – we challenge commonly held assumptions to create new and better solutions from scratch. In our short history we’ve made a lot progress with this mentality, launching new business lines and innovative products constantly. Following our historic acquisition by Prudential, we have more support than ever to innovate and change the world of insurance and financial services.
We leave ego at the door and work together to uncover the truth. We prioritize what is best for the whole and avoid focusing on what is best for the individual. We all care about achieving goals more than looking good, and we're eager to constantly be learning from each other.
Flexible Working Environment
Your schedule and working hours are up to you at Assurance. We care more about results than when and where you get your work done, and we find that a flexible schedule can help alleviate the stress of a rigid work-life balance.
Unlimited Time Off
We work hard, so it’s important that we take time to refresh and reset when we need it. We empower our employees to take the time that make sense for them.
Nutritional Snacks and Weekly Lunches
We encourage a healthy lifestyle for employees in all ways that we can, and we don’t want it to be tough to find sustenance when you’re hard at work! We provide healthy, nutritional snacks throughout our office, and outstanding local coffee. We also host a weekly lunch, featuring top local restaurants, to accompany our all-company meeting.
We want to make sure it’s easy for you to get to and from work, so we a provide free public transportation or greatly subsidized parking close to our office.
From the beginning, our founders believed that beautiful, open, inspiring spaces lead to energy and creativity. We seek beautiful office spaces in all of our locations, and in 2020 we’ll be taking occupancy of a stunning new office on the top two floors of Madison Center in downtown Seattle – this space features floor to ceiling windows with stunning 360 degree views of the Puget Sound, and an exclusive private rooftop deck.
Competitive Health Benefits
Access to high quality healthcare is core to our business, and we care that our employees don’t have to worry about visiting a doctor. All employees receive competitive health, dental, and vision benefits packages.
Choice of High-End Equipment
We want to make sure you’re empowered to create amazing things. We give new employees the option of a variety of high-end computers and accessories.
We believe in the importance of investing in yourself in a variety of ways, including financially. We offer a strong 401k plan, with options to invest in traditional, Roth, and after-tax options, all backed by a best-in-class platform from Prudential.