Revenue Staff Accountant at Zipwhip
Zipwhip is a Seattle-based SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) company providing text messaging to businesses across North America through cloud-based software and a best-in-class API solution. One of the fastest-growing tech companies in North America as ranked by Deloitte Fast 500 2017 and 2018, Zipwhip invented the technology that enables businesses to text using their existing landline, VoIP or toll-free phone number and communicate with consumers the modern way.
Zipwhip is aggressively investing in our people, product offerings and processes. We are backed by Goldman Sachs, Microsoft Ventures, OpenView, Voyager Capital and a host of other investors, and are seeing rapid growth in both employees and revenue. Zipwhip is the only business-texting provider with direct connections to all Tier 1 and 2 wireless operators in the U.S., and we've delivered billions of texts to consumers nationwide.
Zipwhip employees come to work every day inspired and ready to live out our DIRECT values: Determination, Innovation, Respect, Enthusiasm, Collaboration and Trust. If you want to be part of an organization where highly motivated thinkers are empowered to change the way we communicate with the world around us, then we'd like to hear from you.
What we're looking for:
Zipwhip is looking for a Revenue Staff Accountant to join our Finance team. A successful candidate exhibits strong judgment, professionalism, and thrives in a fast-paced environment. The individual must be able to manage competing demands and execute with special attention to detail. This person has an aptitude for process and systems optimization; and has excellent communication and customer service skills. The ideal candidate is one who feels empowered to innovate, takes ownership, is customer-driven, and is comfortable with ambiguity.
What’s the job really?
- Revenue accounting: including revenue recognition, deferred revenue, and various internal and external revenue reporting.
- Accounts receivable, deposits, and invoicing.
- Review contracts and sales arrangements to ensure proper accounting treatment in accordance with GAAP.
- Support month-end close processes.
- Prepare journal entries and balance sheet reconciliations.
- Ensure that deferrals, accruals, reserves, and provisions are calculated and supported with appropriate basis and backup, in accordance with US GAAP.
- Help to create and maintain accounting policies, procedures, and process flow documentation.
- Well organized, ability to prioritize tasks, and provide high-level of accuracy.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, and comfortable working cross-functionally with various areas of our organization.
- Strategic - ability to see "the big picture" and how proactive measures ensure success.
- Desire to exceed expectations and drive positive change.
- Ability to work independently and willingness to adapt to changing business needs and deadlines.
- Teamwork: You support others without being asked for help are a team player, and know-how to win together.
What you bring to the table:
- Minimum of BS/BA in Accounting or equivalent experience.
- 2+ years of progressive and relevant accounting experience, preferably with experience in high-growth software and/or startup companies.
- Experience with NetSuite, Zuora, Salesforce, QuickBooks.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel, ability to manipulate massive quantities of data.
- Must be able to operate in a fast-paced, rapidly evolving, and data-driven organization.
The physical demands described here are representative of the requirements that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to come and go from the work area daily, talk, listen, use a personal computer and telephone, read and understand documents containing text and/or numbers. Heavy computer usage is required for this position.
What we offer:
- Fun, lively startup culture and one of Seattle's coolest offices. Note we’ve since moved into an even cooler office (300 Elliot Ave).
- Core values-based leadership.
- A culture of employee engagement-lively weekly company updates as 1 example.
- Competitive salary and stock options.
- Stipend for transportation and cell phone usage.
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a generous matching 401k program, PTO, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Complimentary snacks, complimentary beverages, a subsidized cafeteria with lunch made fresh every day, and free lunch on Fridays catered by local chefs.
- Complimentary shuttle access to the office from King Street Station, Ferry Terminal and Yesler/Occidental.
Zipwhip values an inclusive and diverse team.
Being an equal opportunity employer is important to us. We work hard everyday and value an inclusive and diverse team. We are an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with applicable law, we prohibit discrimination against any applicant or employee based on any legally-recognized basis, including, but not limited to: race, color, national origin or ancestry, citizenship status, creed, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status or any other status protected by federal, state or local law.
We are an E-verify participating employer.