Senior Director of Accounting
Smartsheet is looking for a Senior Director of Accounting to directly oversee Revenue Accounting and Financial Operations, the largest teams in our Accounting and Finance department. In this role, the selected candidate will guide some of the most significant accounting functions of Smartsheet, an increasingly complex, publicly traded, high-growth SaaS company with expanding international operations. This position reports to the Vice President, Corporate Controller.
- Oversee and own our revenue accounting processes and practices from order to cash
- Ensure best-in-class team structure for both Revenue and Financial Operations to support current and future growth
- Partner with sales, finance and corporate IT to define and implement global systems architecture for invoicing and payment processing for all of our 90,000+ customers around the globe
- Lead operational aspects of our strategy to expand globally
- Provide world-class support to Smartsheet’s sales organization, establishing order activation, and billing and collections processes that are well-understood and which minimize friction for the sales team. Review and approve sales agreement terms of financial impact
- Collaborate with FP&A on further developing best-in-class internal financial reporting practices
- Monitor, analyze, and propose new metrics that are relevant for assessing Smartsheet’s revenue performance
- Help the company scale by identifying areas in Revenue and Financial Operations with potential for increased efficiencies. Partner with sales to identify and incorporate solutions that benefit the customer, Sales and Accounting organizations
- Become a key point of contact for auditors on all Revenue and Financial Operations related questions
- Help ensure that Smartsheet becomes fully SOX compliant by January 2020
- 10+ years relevant work experience with proven progressive career path, public company experience strongly preferred
- Big Four experience a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with strong knowledge of US GAAP
- History of strong performance in high-volume teams
- A go getter who excels in building complete and streamlined accounting operations
- Passion for accounting and operations
- Strong communication skills. Ability to speak to audiences with different experiences and backgrounds: accounting personnel with varying degrees of experience, sales team, sales executive leadership, IT, FP&A, Legal, etc.
- Ability to analyze problems, develop/recommend solutions, and resolve issues
- Ability to research and understand areas of high technical accounting complexity and apply the applicable guidance to procedures performed as applicable
- Highly proficient with the use of technology for automating and streamlining processes
- Knowledge of and experience with online accounting software preferred (Netsuite highly preferred)
- SaaS experience preferred
- Experience at companies with a large number of monthly or daily transactions preferred
- Excellent management skills and developer of talent, well-respected by his/her team
- Passion and interest in leading accounting function and related operations
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Our Company Culture
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work everyday. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Benefits & Perks
Take advantage of Smartsheet's lucrative incentive plans and competitive base salary. Additionally, we offer comprehensive medical/dental/vision with fully paid premiums for you and your dependents, fifteen vacation days per year to start (with unlimited rollover), flexible sick time, 10 paid holidays, paid parental leave, 401k, tax-free funds for parking or your commute, adjustable desks, crazy fast computers, and dual monitors for everyone.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.