Convoy is transforming the $800 billion trucking industry, where even 10 years ago, most truck drivers did not have smartphones and paper driver logs were common. In 2015, Convoy launched the digital freight movement with an open and fully connected marketplace for brands and manufacturers to work directly with freight carriers who move truckload shipments throughout the country. This ‘Digital Freight Network’ is powered by machine learning and automation, and supported by a broad, ever-growing set of features that benefit both sides of the marketplace.
We’ve been honored to work with some great companies, such as Unilever, The Home Depot, and Procter & Gamble. We’ve also been backed by world-class investors, including Google, YCombinator, Fidelity, Greylock Generation, Lone Pine, T. Rowe Price, Baillie Gifford and the founders and CEOs of Amazon, Salesforce, eBay, LinkedIn, Expedia, Dropbox, Starbucks, and others. We are proud to have been named a CNBC Disruptor 50 Winner (3x), a Fast Company World Changing Idea, a LinkedIn Top Startup, a Forbes' Best Startup Employer, one of Fortune Magazine's 'Impact 20' list, a best place to work in Washington State, a BloombergNEF Pioneer winner, and more.
This is your opportunity to collaborate with an incredible group of people and help transform the freight industry. Join Convoy and help us transport the world with endless capacity and zero waste.
About the team:
The Dynamic Marketplace team is responsible for developing automated matching strategies inside Convoy's two-sided marketplace. We are a team of scientists, engineers, and product managers who help thousands of carriers efficiently find the best load for them each day. Our goal is operate the world’s best digital freight marketplace, while providing exceptional experience for our carriers and shippers. To this end, we develop the scientific solutions to optimize our matching approach by blending auction theory, machine learning and new discoveries to deliver value for Convoy, our carriers and our shippers.
Fast-paced, collaborative environments energize and bring out the best in you. You are able to define a long-run scientific strategy, as well as dive into the details. You are comfortable delivering on projects from ideation to deployment. Cross functional peers find you an effective translator between business problems,economic solutions and engineering implementation. You mentor and develop junior scientists around you and force multiply output for your team.
- Design, build, and analyze Econometric models to help improve the function of our two-sided marketplace
- Leverage economic theory and deliver quantitative solutions to optimize how our marketplace matching systems operate
- Analyze the supply-side dynamics of Convoy’s marketplace and suggest improvements
- Partner with ML, OR, and data scientists to drive business results in a fast-paced environment
- Collaborate with engineers and product managers to deliver results
- Work with senior leaders to present findings, business insights, and drive new product ideas
We're looking for someone who has:
- PhD in Economics or highly related field (Marketing, Finance, Statistics, Math)
- At least 5 years of experience (post-doc) in research or business problem solving leveraging economics and related disciplines
- Experience with scientific/statistical languages such as Python, R, or Matlab
- You are comfortable interacting with technical and non-technical audiences
- You are a leader and will speak up where needed
- You have a habit of bias-to-action
Nice to haves:
- 2+ years working in a fast-paced business environment
- Experience with bidding or pricing in two-sided markets (platforms)
- Experience working with machine learning solutions in a production environment
- SQL fluency
Employees' wellbeing is top of mind for the Convoy team. Outside of offering excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits, we also offer the following:
* On demand mental and emotional health benefits through Lyra
* On demand primary care through 98.6
* Generous paid time off
* Paid parental leave program
* Fertility benefit solutions via Progyny
* Child-care and adult/elder-care options through Bright Horizons
* Opportunity to join and contribute to one of our Employee Resource Groups
* Ability to make a real world impact!
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!