Sr. Tax Specialist- Nexus Specialist
Avalara is seeking an experienced writer to join our growing Tax Advisory Services team as a Senior Tax Specialist in one of our core US locations: Seattle, Washington (our corporate office), Durham, North Carolina and Rocklin, California (our primary TAS service location.) This is an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to join an exceptional group of professionals dedicated to exceeding customer expectations in the delivery of effective tax advisory services.
Primary job duties involve limited writing and analysis in the following areas:
- Daily preparation of multistate sales and use tax nexus analysis reports for customers.
- Daily project management of assigned projects, including onboarding customers for new projects, ongoing customer collaboration for existing projects, maintaining project status in our internal project tracking systems, etc.
- Performance of other tasks as directed.
Additional job duties involve research and other related activities in the following areas:
- On occasion, perform light-to-medium state and local tax research for our customers on specific sales and use tax-related topics using online research services, our internal tax content databases and libraries and other resources.
- Monitoring changes in sales and use tax nexus rules, policies and state tax department positions.
- On a periodic basis, assist with updating our internal systems related to these changes.
- On occasion, assist with developing content for internal and external webinars and marketing materials related to nexus developments.
The Avalara Tax Advisory Service’s nexus analysis service is an important first step in our customers journey towards tax compliance, often followed by secondary services including comprehensive risk assessments and voluntary compliance activities. This highly successful practice area is high-volume, requiring strong self-management discipline and attention to detail. While the actual report generation process is highly-automated, the Specialist’s role is focused on the analysis aspect and finalizing the report in a consistent and professional manner. Attention to detail is key to this effort.
- Undergraduate degree in Business Administration or a related field, accompanied by a JD or Master’s in Taxation.
- State and local tax consulting experience is a plus but not required.
- Regional or national public accounting experience with a state or local tax practice a plus.
- Proficiency in technical writing, preferably involving tax or a related subject matter.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Professional demeanor, team player and positive attitude, able to adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated high standards of excellence in work product and professionalism.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.