Underwriting and Compliance Manager, Payment Operations at Expedia Group
The Commerce Operations Underwriting and Compliance Manager will play a meaningful role in providing payments solutions for the travel market. Expedia Group enables over $100 Billion of customer and supplier payment services for a portfolio of global online travel brands under Expedia Group. To date our transactional capabilities are clearly leading the travel industry. And while our technology and products have initially been built to power some of the industry’s leading brands, their results-oriented strengths represent a compelling opportunity to broaden Expedia Group’s reach in the ecosystem of travel providers. Join an entrepreneurial team at the forefront of travel plus payments technology development and experience this platform commercialization journey.
As a key member of the eCommerce Payments and Risk group within Platform & Marketplace (P&M) organization and its Commercial Product Operations team, your role will be critical to building, improving and scaling payments related operations functions to power the $2T travel industry. You will be responsible for the Payment Facilitator (PayFac) risk underwriting and compliance functions throughout the customer lifecycle – sales and contracting, onboarding and sub-merchant client due diligence, ongoing operations and offboarding. You will work collaboratively across Product, Technology, Operations, Legal, Compliance, Controllership and Expedia Group Channel Partners to ensure compliant eCommerce capability readiness powered by global payment solution providers. This role will report to the Director of Partnerships, Operations & Compliance in Expedia Global Payments (EGP).
What you'll do:
Implement a Risk Underwriting framework and the supporting operational governance
- As the commerce risk manager, responsible for managing payment processing risk exposure, provide early warning of potential high risk situations and rapidly address actual risk exposure with effective risk mitigation solutions
- Develop operational approaches for screening, assessing, recommending and managing risk
- Assess and manage risk related to business identification, financial risk, legal/regulatory risk, reputational risk, etc.
- Develop approaches, services and tools specific to each geographic jurisdiction
- Develop approaches tailored to major merchant types and customer segments
- Implement key performance indicators, metrics and reporting to effectively manage risk to the business
- Coordinate across functions and in conjunction with Controllerships group to provide audit, compliance support and business risk assessment relative to our Risk Underwriting approach and operational execution
Implement a Compliance framework and the supporting operational governance
- As the commerce compliance manager, responsible for compliance adherence (review, approval, signoff) for onboarded sub-merchants and the integrated partners, fulfilling third-party Scheme (Visa, Mastercard, Amex, etc.) card processing requirements from Payments Acquirer/Processors
- Monitor new compliance rules, regulations, standard methodologies and support tools via peer groups, industry associations, periodicals and partner SMEs and modify approaches accordingly
- Develop compliance approach, framework and operational processes supporting Know Your Customer (KYC), Know Your Payee (KYP), Customer Due Diligence (CDD), Sanctions Screening, Anti Money Laundering (AML), Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR), governmental agency reporting, customer privacy, etc.
- Tailor the approach, processes and tools to each jurisdiction being serviced and to the relevant compliance checks
- Implement metrics reporting and document retention to be fully compliant at all times
- Lead certification efforts working across functions within Commerce team, across Expedia Group organization and with integrated partners
- Provide audit and compliance support (Corporate Audit Services, Card Scheme Audits, etc.)
Who you are:
- Domain expertise in Risk Underwriting is critical coupled with experience in Compliance functions
- Financial Services and/or Payment industry experience is preferred
- Travel/Lodging industry knowledge is a plus
- Proven record in defining, building in-house and/or outsourcing, automating, managing, measuring, auditing and scaling Business Operations
- Significant experience with finance, accounting, risk and audit management principles coupled with demonstrated problem solving skills
- Demonstrated team leadership and mentoring skills; strong multi-functional alignment and teaming skills
You will fit this role if you have:
- Passion for Results: Maintain high standards for the individual, team and organizational accomplishment. Derive happiness from goal achievement and continuous improvement.
- Communication and Influence Skills: Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas to individuals and groups. Build and execute influencing strategies that persuade key partners to take action towards advancing shared interests and business goals.
- Analytical Abilities: Secure and compare information from multiple sources to identify core issues. Commit to an action-plan after weighing alternative solutions against decision criteria.
- Eye for Business: Demonstrate a keen understanding of basic business operations and the organizational levers (systems, processes, departments and functions) that drive sustainable growth.
- Decision Process: Use a factual approach to decision-making by systematically collecting valid and reliable data. Have the backbone to disagree and commit to the decisions towards better business outcomes.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics or equivalent required; MBA a plus
- Location: Seattle, WA USA
Why join us:
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, passionate, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and make people's lives better – that responsibility inspires us to be the place where exceptional people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved consumer brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, HomeAway®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, lastminute.com.au®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Classic Vacations®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia® CruiseShipCenters®, SilverRail Technologies, Inc., ALICE and Traveldoo®.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.