Auth0, a global leader in Identity-as-a-Service (IDaaS), provides thousands of enterprise customers with a Universal Identity Platform for their web, mobile, IoT, and internal applications. Its extensible platform seamlessly authenticates and secures more than 1.5B logins per month, making it loved by developers and trusted by global enterprises. Auth0 has raised more than $110 million to date and continues its global growth at a rapid pace. We are consistently recognized as a great place to work based our outstanding leadership and dedication to company culture, and are looking for the best people to join our incredible team spread across more than 35 countries!
The VP, Controller will be responsible for the leadership, development and execution of the company’s global accounting function, including global controllership, financial operations, taxes and financial reporting. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the successful candidate will bring both strategic vision and best-practices to guide the accounting team, coupled with a hands-on and tactical approach to enable effective implementation. The individual will demonstrate strong business judgment applied to routine and complex financial and accounting issue and a healthy dose of professional curiosity when addressing business and accounting issues.
The candidate will be a proven executive with experience leading or significantly contributing to a high-performing accounting and control organization, ideally in a software or global technology company. The successful candidate will bring both strategic vision and best-practices to guide the team, coupled with a hands-on and tactical approach to enable effective implementation. The individual will demonstrate strong business judgment applied to routine and complex financial and accounting issue and a healthy dose of professional curiosity when addressing business and accounting issues.
The successful candidate will quickly grasp company operations and business drivers and will possess a high degree of integrity and independence. The individual will have international experience working with and/or establishing overseas financial operations and controls. The candidate will have 15-20 years of experience dealing with complex accounting matters, including some combination of public accounting and corporate experience.
The successful candidate will also have the following leadership and personal competencies:
• Integrity: Unquestioned personal and professional integrity, a reputation for excellence and setting a high ethical standard for performance. Quickly grasps and embraces the company’s values.
• Execute for Results: Committed to excellence and able to drive results in the organization. Able to prioritize and relentlessly follows through on commitments despite difficulties or complications. Well-versed in performance management and a strong business partner to line leaders in the organization. Resourceful in nature, and consistently provides practical and creative solutions to business challenges.
• Manage Work Processes: Designs effective and efficient work processes and systems. Figures out what to measure to track progress. Diagnoses and fixes work flow problems and always looks for incremental process improvement.
• Relationships and Interpersonal Skills: Builds and sustains excellent relationships at multiple levels across the organization. Highly collaborative and supports open and transparent dialogue throughout the organization. Assembles the best teams possible to positively impact the business.
• Gets Work Done Through Others: Able to manage people and teams well. Sets and communicates guiding goals, measures accomplishments, holds people accountable, and gives useful feedback. Delegates and develops, keeps people informed, provides coaching for today and for the future.
• Team Builder: An excellent leader and manager of people, with the ability to recognize outstanding performance and build a strong team. Fosters a sense of teamwork and pride by promoting, recognizing, and rewarding individuals who have made significant contributions. Builds effective teams committed to organizational goals, fosters collaboration among team members and among teams, and leverages teams to address relevant issues.
• Communicates Effectively: Writes and presents effectively. Adjusts style to fit the audience and the message. Good listener, demonstrates open and honest communication with the team, respects ideas and opinions.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
- Ensure consistent implementation of corporate accounting principles and procedures in full compliance with US GAAP.
- Lead global revenue recognition policies and procedures and ensure consistent and standard revenue accounting in accordance with GAAP.
- Instill internal controls across the company, including design and testing of a financial control framework.
- Act as an agent of change to drive improved efficiency within the accounting function and streamline processes and procedures. Optimize and automate accounting processes to drive a faster monthly close.
- Stay current with technical accounting, regulatory and financial reporting developments to ensure compliance with current and developing standards and regulations.
- Assess and report on status of existing accounting and reporting standards, procedures, and internal controls to identify areas of improvements.
- Contribute to remediation plans when deficiencies are noted in testing of internal controls.
- Monitor the control environment and operational risk requirements, including development and maintenance of metrics across business.
- Partner effectively with non-accounting / finance team members to drive improved controls and process enhancements.
- Partner with FP&A and other teams for continuity and consistency of business planning and to resolve unusual and difficult problems requiring technical accounting.
- Proactively lead day to day relationships for Company with independent auditor for the planning, coordination and conduct of their annual audit and other services across the company.
- Enable increased level of employee job satisfaction and employee engagement through leadership, coaching, and development of team.
Additional Qualifications Include:
- Significant technical accounting background, ideally gained in a public or venture backed growing software company, including but not limited to software as a service company.“Hands on” and willing to get into the details to understand business processes at a deep level with track record driving efficiencies to manual processes and introducing automation.
- Demonstrated ability to simply communicate complex financial concepts and technical accounting implications to stakeholders across the organization.
- Proven experience driving change in accounting processes to drive faster monthly close while improving employee engagement.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and lead the audit process and manage external auditor relationships, including leading discussion during Audit Committee meetings with respect to accounting and control issues.
- Self-motivated, team player who can credibly communicate with and relate to people at all levels in the finance and accounting organization, with the experience and ability to motivate, manage, rally and mentor the team.
- Demonstrated executive presence and exceptional communication and presentation skills to both internal and external audiences.
- Demonstrated success hiring, developing, and retaining key talent across the accounting function.
- Demonstrated ability to work cross culturally and to succeed in dynamic environment. Experience conducting business in a competitive marketplace with rapid change and transformation will be valued.
Auth0 is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Auth0 conducts all employment-related activities without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, citizenship status, genetics, or status as a Vietnam-era special disabled and other covered veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Auth0 participates in E-Verify and will confirm work authorization for candidates residing in the United States. #LI-BB1