Benefits & Compliance Specialist (Bellevue) at OfferUp
OfferUp is dedicated to building the simplest and most trustworthy way for people to buy and sell in their communities. Every year, millions of people use OfferUp to buy and sell locally, resulting in billions of dollars of local commerce. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., our iOS and Android app has been in the top five most popular shopping apps lists for more than three years. Join us as we build the marketplace of the future and reinvent local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust.
At a Glance
- 85M+ Downloads
- Geekwire App of Year
- 15+ percent of adults in key markets like Los Angeles, Seattle, Miami and Las Vegas use OfferUp every month
About the role:
OfferUp is seeking a Benefits & Compliance Specialist who is passionate about simplifying and scaling benefit programs and compliance efforts.
In this role, you will work closely with the rest of the HR Operations team to drive excellence across OfferUp’s benefit programs. Whether introducing new benefits for consideration, or streamlining the management of existing programs, you’ll be instrumental in the day-to-day management of all OfferUp benefits.
In addition to running our benefits programs, you’ll be responsible for streamlining HR compliance efforts. With your strong knowledge of local, state, and federal requirements, you’ll be the point of contact for compliance related efforts.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Manage the annual benefit renewal and open enrollment process: drafting and interpreting the results of an annual benefits survey, preparing communications, and submitting open enrollment changes in ADP. Facilitate all open enrollment meetings and communications with vendors, brokers, and employees.
- Manage and track all leaves of absence (FMLA-equivalent, PFML, short-term & long-term disability, reasonable accommodation requests, workers compensation claims, etc.) including administration and continued improvements to OfferUp’s WA approved Voluntary Leave plan.
- Develop engaging educational content on benefit programs (medical, wellness, 401k, etc) for all levels of the employee life-cycle including recruiting, onboarding, and termination.
- Support the new hire benefit enrollment process by thoroughly understanding and proactively improving ADP’s new-hire enrollment process.
- Manage day-to-day vendor relationships (medical, dental, vision, life insurance, workers compensation, COBRA, disability, 401k, leave program, etc.) and benefits broker relationships.
- Own all benefit-related analysis in preparation for regular review. Recommend updated language to internal systems and tools as needed and communicate changes to employees in an engaging way.
- Update systems with employee benefit enrollments and support Payroll by conducting regular payroll checks on all benefits-related deductions.
- Partner with our Payroll team on our yearly 401k audit. Pull reports from the vendor website, communicate efficiently with the audit team, and action any discovered errors. Support our 401k trustee meetings and drive the creation of goals around our 401k program.
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of the HR Operations team and answer all employee questions that come in about benefits or other HR policies. Ensure that inquiries not related to HR reaches the right person.
- Maintain HRIS data quality and partnering with other HR team members to ensure accuracy of employee data. Enter employee data into HRIS and provide necessary reports to Payroll for bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll processing such as: new hires, terminations, compensation changes, benefit changes, or leave changes.
- Prepare and file required reports including EEO-1 reports, OSHA reports, Workers Compensations reports, Form 5500, WA PFML reports.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws and regulations and audits. Track relevant laws and regulatory developments and evolve OfferUp compliance practices as a result.
- Validate that every new hire has a cleared background check, E-verify new hire I-9s, ensure workplace compliance posters are updated in both our Bellevue and Miami offices and our employees are in compliance with any required training sessions. Complete audits in these areas to ensure compliance is maintained and any errors are corrected.
- Track and maintain all changes in personnel records and keeping systems updated with employee changes.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have:
- You have 3+ years of relevant work experience in benefits, including administration and coordination of open enrollment (bonus points if you’ve done it all in ADP Workforce Now!).
- You have a demonstrated deep knowledge of relevant federal and state regulations (WA & FL), and filing and compliance requirements affecting employee benefit programs including: ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, STD/LTD, LoA, ADA, HIPAA, OSHA, and Workers Compensation.
- You have demonstrated experience implementing new programs and driving changes to existing programs. You are comfortable using a metrics driven approach to measure success.
- You embrace and embody OfferUp’s Operating Principles, most notably:
- You're #driven and comfortable in environments where structure is needed but doesn't yet exist.
- You are excited to contribute to the building of policies and processes and you actively identify opportunity areas and work to #simplify complex problems.
- You’re #adaptable in the face of rapidly changing priorities and projects.
- You read between the lines and #divedeep into employee requests so you can identify trends and deliver solutions before they become problems.
- You’re not afraid to #ownit and admit you don’t know the answer or that you made a mistake, but you will resolve it promptly and courteously.
- You are #neighborly and able to manage a variety of fast-paced deadlines with a patient and positive attitude.
- You understand and respect the sensitive nature of confidential information and can navigate complex situations and tasks in a discrete, efficient, and #scrappy manner.
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com/tagged/culture
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.