HR Director at Avalara
What is it like to work at Avalara? Come find out. We are committed to the following success traits that embody our culture and how we work together to accomplish great things: Fun. Passion. Adaptability. Urgency. Simplicity. Curiosity. Humility. Ownership. Optimism. We are seeking a highly motivated, experienced Human Resources Director to join our HR Team in the beautiful Seattle Hawk Tower office. You will work closely with the President & COO and his leadership team to deliver full employee life cycle talent and people programs, supporting leaders in effectively managing engagement and culture within their organizations. You will bring a background in organizational and change management practices to help leaders design their organizations for scale and agility. You will be a champion for our amazing and unique culture to ensure that we are embodying the Avalara Success Traits. This position entails both strategic and tactical functions – assessing the needs of the business and translating those into actions that will help grow and develop the business, its leaders and employees.
- Partner with the President/COO and his leadership team, to drive key components of engagement, culture, talent, retention and development – this role is the senior HR business partner for our President and COO
- Offer thought leadership and streamlined execution of HR programs and initiatives across multiple functional areas that make up our growth and operations teams – help drive business outcomes of our largest teams focused on growing and operating our business
- Identify development opportunities, working with leaders and high talent on career development and succession activities
- Use analytics to educate leaders on the people measures in their business, helping to drive for improvements and continuous feedback
- Work closely with the talent acquisition team to identify talent and succession gaps and build talent bench that will allow the business and functional areas to scale
- Deliver performance management coaching and provide guidance to employees and managers on effective communications and expectations setting, as we move to a more continuous feedback model that focuses on contribution, agility and development
- Partner with Engagement and Diversity leader to ensure we are assembling scalable and diverse teams and creating strong talent pipelines
- Provide coaching and guidance to leaders on maintaining positive employee relations for a wide range of issues, including investigations in response to employee relations issues and recommend/implement courses of action based on investigation results
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring a healthy work environment
- Strive for operational excellence and execution of HR activities with an ownership mindset while identifying opportunities for efficiency and automation wherever possible in order to scale our delivery
- Partner with your HR colleagues to deliver exceptional HR services that help drive and support the business priorities
- Act as a role model for our success traits, inspiring those around you to achieve greatness, with a passion for what you do and a desire to help others do their best work
- BA/BS degree (Master's a plus!) with 12- 15 years Human Resources experience with a couple of years in specialty areas of HR (Learning, compensation, recruiting, international, etc) preferred.
- Experience in high tech and/or growth environment strongly preferred
- Proven experience in coaching, developing and influencing leadership teams with a strong balance of EQ and business acumen
- Demonstrated track record in a fast paced environment
- Ability to build strong relationships across the organization
- Working knowledge of multiple human resource disciplines including compensation practices, organizational diagnosis, employee relations, diversity, recruitment, performance management, federal and state respective employment laws.
- PHR certification required, SPHR preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications, HRIS familiarity
- Interpersonal skills consistent with an entrepreneurial, SMB environment where teamwork is of the utmost importance
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions for customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.