VP of People
Interviewing is a universal experience, but it is no one’s job
Interviews are the gateway between people and jobs--they are a critical connection point. And yet, while the interview is a universal experience, it has never been recognized as its own discipline. In fact, the vast majority of people conducting interviews receive no formal training in how to do so.
Karat is the market leader in Interview Engineering
At Karat, our mission is to make every interview predictive, fair, and enjoyable. To do so, we created and established the category of Interview Engineering.
Karat conducts technical interviews on behalf of organizations hiring software engineers. We do this through a community of Interview Engineers who are equipped with Karat's interviewing infrastructure, battle-tested questions, and data-informed best practices. The result is highly predictive and fair interviews at scale that candidates truly enjoy. Karat has amassed the largest, most robust dataset of structured-interview intelligence to produce never-before-seen hiring analytics.
Founded in 2014, Karat is a privately held and venture-funded company based in Seattle. Key clients include Pinterest, PayPal, Citrix, Intuit, and InVision. Karat is in a period of hyper-growth and tripling year over year, as we realize incredible demand for our solution.
VP People at Karat
To fuel Karat’s growth, Karat seeks a VP People to join the company’s Senior Leadership Team in Seattle, WA. The VP people will build the strategies and processes to attract and retain talent at all phases of the talent lifecycle.
Beyond instituting internal best practices, the VP People will partner with Karat’s GTM leadership to accelerate the adoption of the solution in the tech community. This would involve joining executive sales meetings and speaking at conferences to evangelize an entirely new model for interviewing and hiring.
As Karat is a category pioneer -- the VP People will partner with Karat’s Leadership Team and Product organization to experiment with new processes and evaluation systems at Karat. We must “walk the walk” with our own People and constantly innovate in order to lead the market.
- Develop and execute People strategies aligned with the company’s growth objectives
- Establish operational excellence including leveraging technology and analytics towards creating strong practices across the entire lifecycle (attraction, development, retention)
- Build a high-performing organization that is values-aligned and drives material results for customers
- Make Karat a sought after employer with a strong employer brand in the tech ecosystem
- Create and scale clear diversity, equity and inclusion best practices
- Shape Karat’s culture across both Seattle-based and remote personnel
- Partner with Leadership Team to simplify and repeat appropriate internal communications which support the growth of our talent and our business
- Provide feedback to Leadership Team (and back to the organization) as a trusted Partner who represents the best interests of the company and its people
- Serve as an external advocate to peers in the community and support GTM leadership in the adoption of a new category-defining model
- Be an innovator, leveraging Karat as a platform to experiment with new People practices so that we can continue to serve as a market leader in the industry
Experience and Leadership Capability
Given the current and anticipated growth, the VP People is a high stakes, high visibility position for Karat both internally and externally. The company needs an innovative and forward-thinking leader who can blend sound business judgment with People and Talent expertise. The mandate calls for a courageous communicator who inspires people to deliver results. As Karat is a category-defining company with a massive opportunity in the talent space, the VP People will be an essential company builder, industry advocate and product development partner.
The VP People must:
- Thrive in a fast-paced, high growth environment with an agile mindset and an ability to design the People function in an iterative manner
- Have deep experience in People functions with a minimum of 15 years work experience across large and growth stage companies. Given the nature of Karat’s business, prior experience in Talent Acquisition is a must have to resonate with the solution
- Possess strong business acumen with the ability to create win-win strategies that advance the development of our teams and the strategic plus financial trajectory of the company
- Possess experience in creating an open and high performing culture, driving clear diversity, equity and inclusion practices across the organization
- Be persuasive in high-stakes sales situations where the VP People can influence peers to adopt a new solution that produces high ROI
- Have a track record towards innovating in the People and TA space with a mindset for leveraging Karat a platform for testing new product ideas
Statement of Non-Discrimination:
In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at Karat.
We value a diverse workforce: people of color, womxn, and LGBTQIA+ individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.
With thanks to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.