INTERN - Legal
About the Company:
Avalara, Inc. is a software as a service (SaaS) company and leading provider of global tax compliance services. We have recently undergone an IPO, have a super smart team, and are growing rapidly. Avalarians make complex things, like sales tax and VAT, fast, easy, and affordable. Come join the revolution!
Avalara, Inc. is seeking legal interns to support the ongoing operations of its legal department. The ideal candidate is someone who hopes to gain insight into what it is like to work in-house. The position does not require tax law knowledge and is not a function of the position. The interns would work at our office in Seattle, WA or Durham, NC throughout the school year full-time during the summer with the possibility of extending on a flexible part-time schedule into the school year.
With support from fellow legal interns, the intern performs a variety of functions that are essential to the daily work of the legal department, such as:
- Manage the legal team’s work intake through a ticketing system and inform attorneys of high priority matters.
- Manage administrative tasks, such as organizing, signing, and saving agreements.
- Edit, revise, review, and draft a variety of agreements, such as non-disclosure agreements, terms and conditions, partner agreements, vendor forms, marketing agreements, etc.
- Respond to requests from other business units for information or general support.
- Work on special projects and conduct legal research on topics to address issues encountered by the General Counsel and legal team.
- Educate the legal team on a variety of topics through lunch presentations.
- Learn about the unique challenges encountered by a corporate legal department.
- Build experience that will set you apart in later job searches.
- Develop and refine drafting skills while working with a variety of complex agreement types.
- Gain insight into how a legal department adds value to the overall business.
- Juris Doctor candidate (1L, 2L, or 3L).
- Able to work on-site in Seattle, WA or Durham, NC.
- Successful candidate must be an energetic, self-starter who is eager to learn and grow.