NPI Engineering Intern
NPI/ Manufacturing Engineer
Synapse Product Development utilizes the talents of engaged and excellence-focused engineers, project managers, and business operations professionals to collaborate on creative and cutting-edge product development solutions for the world’s leading companies. Synapsters embrace the opportunity to work on a variety of challenging projects, find fun in solving hard problems with great coworkers, and understand the value of cross-discipline collaboration to provide stellar client service. Synapse supports an environment of openness and trust where employees work hard to get the job done and still have time to maintain active and meaningful lives.
About Synapse’s Seattle Office
Synapse’s headquarters in the heart of downtown Seattle maintains many of the hallmarks of the company’s start-up roots. The dog-friendly open office environment buzzes with activity, and employees are just as likely to solve problems over the ping-pong table as at the white board. With more than one hundred employees at this work site, Seattle Synapsters maintain the traditions of Wednesday Lunch, a weekly catered meal when the entire office comes together to celebrate successes and navigate shared challenges; Beer:30, where Synapsters are welcome to unwind every other Friday afternoon; and a variety of social events in which family and friends are invited to join in on the fun.
Internships at Synapse
Synapse’s interns assist engineers in designing cool, innovative products for the consumer and industrial spaces, providing support to a multidisciplinary team of software, electrical, mechanical, quality assurance, and new product introduction engineers. Whether assisting with a schematic design, helping with CAD and mechanical drawings, or contributing to the development of embedded firmware and software code bases, Synapse interns bring an attitude of fun, flexibility, and fearlessness to an ever-changing array of exciting design challenges.
Synapse interns participate in lively collaboration, so they are equally comfortable communicating as they are contemplating. They demonstrate the willingness to jump from task to task or even from project to project, sometimes on a daily basis. Synapse interns are always learning—and can even be the ones to teach from time to time: the opportunity to be a listener and a leader exists for Synapsters at every level. Synapse interns are not only willing to understand Synapse’s organizational environment but also demonstrates a curiosity about the clients’ operations and goals as well. They approach each challenge with the eagerness to learn, sense of humor, friendly attitude, and mutual respect that make working at Synapse as enjoyable as it is rewarding.
The application deadline for this internship is August 1st, 2018. Start date around this role is flexible, internships are approximately four months in duration.
- Owner of the ongoing product technical support and auditing the manufacturing process to maintain consistent continuity of supply and product performance
- Yield monitoring: ongoing trend analysis and where required root cause investigation of issues and unfavorable performance events
- Facilitate and gain Synapse / CM / Client approval for necessary non-invasive changes and product modifications
- Maintain technical test and quality reporting systems and tools
- Working with Supply Chain and Program teams, define and execute roadmap to reduce Total Cost of Ownership though the following:
- Alternate material sourcing for components deemed non-critical to product design
- Yield improvements
- Reduction of non-value added material / labor / other costs
- Support Supplier Qualifications and New Supplier Start-ups included, where required, alternate Contract Manufacturers
- Maintain relationship with Product Design teams to seamlessly integrate interim design changes with next generation platform enhancements
- Must be bilingual with the ability to speak technical engineering and slang manufacturing
B.Sc. in Industrial, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
Experance with high technology mass production and development build prefered
Experienced in validating and verifying complex hardware, sub-system designs and developing product and component-level specifications
Superior understanding and strategic perspective of commodity, electrical and/or mechanical supply chain processes and strategy
Exceptional leadership, particularly in complex, international, and cross-functional teams
Exceptional interpersonal and communications (verbal and written) skills / project management experience
Broad supply chain technical experience, including sourcing of relevant raw, semi-finished material and components, new product introduction, factory management outsourcing, and manufacturing partnerships
Team player with deep cross-group collaboration and project management skills, with experience developing efficient work plans for complex projects involving many groups, the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, and experience operating in cross-cultural / international supply base
Ability to work independently within a multi-client environment; a self-starter with strong technical knowledge base