Patent Intern at Avalara
Avalara, Inc. is seeking a Patent Intern to support the company's patent program. This position reports under the Legal Department. The Patent Intern will be relied upon to perform a variety of functions, for all of which there will be ample hands-on training. Prior patent experience is NOT required. The hourly rate is $20.
This position is scheduled to begin immediately on a full-time basis through the Summer of 2019. There is additional opportunities to continue through the following school year on a flexible part-time schedule.
- Interview inventors from all departments of the company; collect their information, organize it, and aggregate it into invention reports; submit these reports, and manage their progress in a software ticketing system.
- Perform light patent searches.
- Proofread for accuracy patent applications written by others from these reports.
Qualified candidates must:
- Submit a resume and writing sample (such as a science paper or a class report) to Greg Kavounas.
- Currently be enrolled in an Engineering of Science four-year degree program in an ABET accredited university.
- Be able to work on-site at Avalara's Seattle, WA headquarters.
- Hold excellent written communication skills.
- Be comfortable regularly meeting new people, including engineers and managers, and interviewing them.
- Be a self-starter who is eager to learn more about patents.
- Technical knowledge of software, especially software as a service (SaaS)
- Current 1L or 2L law student in the Seattle area.
Avalara helps businesses of all sizes achieve compliance with transaction taxes, including sales and use, VAT, excise, communications, and other tax types. The company delivers comprehensive, automated, cloud-based solutions designed to be fast, accurate, and easy to use. The Avalara Compliance Cloud® platform helps customers manage complicated and burdensome tax compliance obligations imposed by state, local, and other taxing authorities throughout the world.
Avalara offers more than 600 pre-built connectors into leading accounting, ERP, ecommerce and other business applications, making the integration of tax and compliance solutions easy for customers. Each year, the company processes billions of indirect tax transactions of customers and users, files more than a million tax returns, and manages millions of tax exemption certificates and other compliance documents.
Headquartered in Seattle, Avalara has offices across the U.S. and overseas in the U.K., Belgium, Brazil, and India. More information at www.avalara.com
Avalara is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, age, gender, national orientation, disability, sexual orientation, US Veteran status, or any other factor protected by law.