Software Engineering Internship- Summer 2020
Discovery Interns are explorers; they dive headfirst into the world in front of them. They aren’t afraid to be uncomfortable and boldly embrace any obstacle or challenge as an opportunity to excel. They walk confidently into the uncharted territory and make the most of their experiences. They ask the questions that go beyond the surface.
Seek adventure, find your passion, forge your path with an internship at Discovery.
Through Discovery’s Internship Program, you’ll have the unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the entertainment and media industry and learn from the global leader in real life entertainment.
We are proud to have been named to Vault.com's 2020 rankings for The 100 Best Internships, Best Media & Telecom Internships and Best Internships for Diversity.
Here’s what we offer:
- Opportunity to immerse yourself and get your hands dirty with challenging work and projects
- Mentorship from Discovery’s best and brightest
- Intern Speaker Series featuring top executives and employees across the business
- Networking opportunities with great snacks
- A creative, collaborative and inclusive company culture with office spaces to match
Here’s what you’ll take away:
- Opportunity to develop professionally and uncover skills you didn’t know you had
- The insider scoop on the TV industry and what happens behind the scenes
- Relationships that will go beyond your collegiate career
- Real life experiences that will provide you with the confidence to delve into your next adventure
What you need to know:
- This summer, our 12 week semester will be held from June 1st-August 21st 2020.
- Our internships are paid opportunities. Credit is not required; however, we will provide documentation if necessary.
- The application deadline is March 20th. After this date, we cannot guarantee your application will be reviewed for the position.
- We do not require a cover letter. Please demonstrate your passion for the position through your resume.
Interviewing will take place from February through April. A Discovery Intern team member will contact you if your experiences and interests match an open internship position. Due to the high volume of applications, we are unable to give individual status updates.
Discovery's Digital group is a well-funded start-up within Discovery, Inc. We are fast, nimble, and have fun developing new and innovative digital products and content for iconic brands. Working at the crossroads of technology, entertainment, and every day utility, we are redefining the direct-to-consumer experience. As content creators across the digital ecosystem, we continuously leverage technology to create immersive viewing and interactive experiences. We tell engaging stories to millions of viewers across all platforms every day and bring new experiences to life to not only entertain, but improve the lives of our customers. Discovery has 17 authenticated TV Everywhere Apps/Sites that super-serve fans AND advertisers alike. We also are currently the home of five direct-to-consumer products globally—Food Network Kitchen, MotorTrend, GolfTV, Eurosport Player and DPLAY, with plans to launch additional products in the US over the next 12 months.
Client (Frontend Engineering) Team:
As a frontend engineering intern, you could help build rich UX across Web, Android, iOS, FireTV, tvOS, Roku and future platforms. Background in design and a firm understanding of how to profile animation to reduce and avoid jank is crucial to the success of this role. Our client technology stack includes ReactJS and React Native. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
Services (Backend Engineering) Team:
As a backend engineering intern within our Services Engineering team you could help implement microservices applications that focus on content delivery, user entitlements, personalization and data. This is a fantastic opportunity to help solve complex but interesting scalability, performance and resiliency problems for products consumed by millions of users! You will have the opportunity to work with a suite of great technologies and in a highly collaborative environment. Our technology stack includes Golang, MariaDB, MongoDB, AWS (SQS, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB, etc.), Docker, Github, Grafana, InfluxDB, PHP and Memcache/Redis. We love working with modern tools and sharing our experiences with the community.
* Must be currently enrolled as a student (proof of enrollment will be required if selected for an internship)
* Must be a rising Junior, Senior, or Graduate student
* Must have at least a 3.0 GPA
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
* Must have computer programming/ software development skills
Please note this position is located in BELLEVUE, WASHINGTON. If selected for an opportunity, interns are responsible for securing their own housing.