Expedia Group is seeking a dynamic, pragmatic attorney with a passion for privacy and technology, to advise business clients on privacy issues related to marketing, product development and new business initiatives, primarily supporting the Americas region. This position is within the Expedia Group privacy team that supports all Expedia Group brands. This person will report to the Vice President, Legal, Privacy and Data Security. As a global leader in the travel industry with a strong focus on innovation and technology, Expedia Group offers an outstanding opportunity to work on a diverse spectrum of matters. This position is part of the Expedia Legal and Corporate Affairs team based in Seattle – a globally oriented legal team that is proactive, collaborative and highly-respected, and where you can work closely with internal clients in a fast-paced and exciting environment.
What You’ll Do:
- Support the business and legal colleagues with the review and negotiation of applicable privacy language for a variety of agreements, including affiliate, vendor and client agreements.
- Advise legal and business teams on compliant and optimal use of PII across B2B and B2C lines of business in the US and overseas.
- Review and document internal and external procedures and controls related to data handling, including transferring and accessing PII.
- Monitor developments in privacy laws and regulatory guidance and keep the business and legal teams apprised of changes in the regulatory landscape.
- Work with the privacy team to proactively manage privacy notices, privacy policies and regulatory filings.
- Manage customer and employee data related requests.
- Provide training to business and legal teams on privacy matters.
Who You Are:
You have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a desire for continuous self-improvement. You are a quick learner, you thrive in a team environment and you look for opportunities to take initiative. You solve legal problems in innovative and commercially savvy ways and partner strongly with your business and legal colleagues. Plus:
- JD degree or equivalent practical experience
- 4-6 years’ relevant privacy experience as a practicing attorney in a top-notch law firm and/or in a fast-paced in-house legal environment; experience in a global legal department and international privacy issues are pluses.
- WA bar admission or otherwise authorized to practice law in WA State.
- Good understanding of e-commerce technologies and business models, including location-based services, behavioral targeting, and online advertising; understanding of how privacy law and regulation applies.
- Ability to assess and communicate risk within the context of business-driven goals.
- Ability to work on a wide range of complex matters with minimal supervision.
- Strong record of establishing strong working relationships with business clients and with legal colleagues.
Why Join Us
Expedia Group recognizes our success is dependent on the success of our people. We are the world's global travel platform, made up of the most knowledgeable, hardworking, and creative people in our business. Our brands recognize the power of travel to break down barriers and bring the world within reach – that responsibility encourages us to be the place where outstanding people want to do their best work, and to provide them the tools to do so.
Whether you're applying to work in engineering or customer support, marketing or lodging supply, at Expedia Group we act as one team, working towards a common goal; to bring the world within reach. We relentlessly strive for better, but not at the cost of the customer. We act with humility and optimism, respecting ideas big and small. We value diversity and voices of all volumes. We are a global organization but keep our feet on the ground so we can act fast and stay simple. Our teams also have the chance to give back on a local level and make a difference through our corporate social responsibility program, Expedia Cares.
If you have a hunger to make a difference with one of the most loved brands in the world and to work in the dynamic travel industry, this is the job for you.
Our family of travel brands includes: Brand Expedia®, Hotels.com®, Expedia® Partner Solutions, Egencia®, trivago®, Vrbo®, Orbitz®, Travelocity®, Wotif®, ebookers®, CheapTickets®, Hotwire®, Expedia® Media Solutions, CarRentals.com™, Expedia Local Expert®, Expedia Cruises™ and SilverRail Technologies, Inc. For more information, visit www.expediagroup.com.
Expedia is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. This employer participates in E-Verify. The employer will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.