Corporate Counsel, Privacy
Smartsheet is looking for a strong transactional attorney with a demonstrated interest in the evolving field of privacy. In this role, you will negotiate data processing agreements and privacy and data security terms in commercial cloud contracts and vendor agreements, as well as provide legal and compliance support on a wide range of issues related to privacy and data protection. This full-time role reports to Smartsheet’s Privacy Counsel and is based in Bellevue, WA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Negotiate privacy and data protection terms in commercial contracts
- Draft privacy agreements and privacy terms within commercial sales agreements
- Serve as primary internal and external point of contact and subject matter expert on privacy terms for all inbound and outbound agreements (including data processing agreements, master agreements, and BAAs)
- Join customer and vendor calls as needed by sales and procurement contracting teams
- Work with the privacy team to update privacy agreement templates
- Stay current on all applicable global privacy laws; assist in the privacy team’s maintenance of internal reference materials and other legal resources
- Research privacy issues and assist the privacy team in responding to internal and external questions
- Assist the privacy team in supporting and implementing privacy compliance programs
- Experienced negotiator with 2-4 years working on technology transactions on a fast-paced quarter or monthly sales cycle
- Superb written communication skills and attention to detail
- Skilled at drafting clear and concise contract terms as well as professional and informative communications
- Willingness and ability to build partnerships across departments and drive change through collaboration
- Excellent business judgment and ability to balance legal risks with other company objectives and interests
- JD and bar admission in good standing in at least one state
- Experience negotiating privacy terms or advising on privacy-related issues
- CIPP or other privacy certification
- Cloud computing experience
Founded in Bellevue, WA in 2005, Smartsheet is a high-growth cloud-based (SaaS) work management platform that empowers collaboration, drives better decision making, and accelerates innovation. Smartsheet is designed to unleash the benefits of greater work agility and collaboration by providing a powerful platform for organizations to plan, track, automate, and report on work. Smartsheet empowers teams to execute with speed and accountability — and make better decisions, faster.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work every day. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Honest: Be truthful and do what is right
Authentic: Be real and challenge directly
Driven: Operate with urgency and focus on results
Innovative: Develop new ideas and think creatively
Effective: Deliver quality
Supportive: Be kind and help each other succeed
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.