Legal Operations Administrator at Smartsheet
The role: Smartsheet is looking for an experienced Legal Operations Administrator to support and drive process improvements, operations review, inter- and intra-department collaboration, initiatives, and creativity to improve the operation of our legal team. This team member will be responsible for the configuration, administrative management, maintenance, and continuous improvement of legal operations processes, technologies, and automations. The role supports the legal team generally with an emphasis on supporting the privacy group.
- Manage legal department’s use of technology and automation
- Work with internal resources to optimize and enhance existing technologies and processes. Identify, design, and implement improvements to streamline how the legal team functions through continuous assessment of processes, systems, and technology.
- Evaluate new processes (including automations), including automated workflows, document management, contract and policy life-cycle management, dashboards, group communication platforms, etc.
- Update and maintain internal and external websites and resources.
- Maintain and administer contracts, policies, filings, templates, and other documents
- Act as primary administrator for Smartsheet’s contract repositories.
- Manage policy repository and revision schedule.
- Assist in facilitating the execution of legal agreements, preparing and routing documents for signature, and filing completed agreements.
- Assist in preparation, organization, tracking, and filing corporate legal documents.
- Manage intake system for contracts and requests coming from other internal departments
- Document and update training and resource materials
- Update and maintain team training materials to ensure they remain current with dynamic practices.
- Document, maintain, publish, and update the team’s internal policies and processes, and create outline for the legal team as necessary.
- Manage workload and workflow
- Maintain processes to manage team workload (incl. managing capacity planning, work procedures, and workflow efficiencies).
- Assist with first line responses on legal team email aliases and project requests/inquiries; escalate matters to appropriate parties as necessary.
- Help manage timeframes and priorities for internal and external requests.
- Act as a general point of contact and provide administrative support for the legal team.
- Manage and coordinate programs
- Maintain and update policies and procedures for projects and recurring tasks to maximize team efficiency.
- Act as an ambassador for the legal team with other internal departments; facilitate process review meetings with departmental stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Assess and report on legal operations
- Utilize existing tools and work with internal stakeholders to develop and leverage tools for reporting metrics and key performance indicators to measure and improve team performance.
- Develop and maintain Smartsheet Dashboards and other resources for tracking and presenting metrics.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of the Smartsheet services to leverage internally and provide guidance to others on how Smartsheet products are being used by our legal team.
- Assist Chief Legal Officer as required
- Provide some scheduling and administrative support to the Chief Legal Officer
- Manage certain communications and processes with Smartsheet leadership as requested by the Chief Legal Officer
- Complete ad-hoc projects for the Chief Legal Officer as necessary
- 3-4 years of relevant experience OR demonstrated ability to carry out key functions of the role (candidate to explain why experience is not necessary to excel in the role)
- Experience in legal operations or as a paralegal, legal assistant, or another support capacity in a legal setting preferred.
- Proactive self-starter; prepared to contribute and execute on ideas and to problem-solve with or without detailed instructions.
- Excellent organizational and oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to comfortably work both independently and collaboratively with people at all levels and functions throughout the company.
- Ability to track and manage numerous parallel activities, and to think critically and independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Legal experience or documented interest with legal or data privacy (e.g., privacy certification such as CIPP or CIPM or courses in privacy/security)
- Experience providing administrative assistance to executive leadership
- Corporate compliance experience, including communications with officer and director level leadership
- Experience with cloud computing or big data