At Assurance, we are disrupting the antiquated and inefficient world of insurance and financial services. Our team of world-class software engineers, data scientists, and business professionals are modernizing how people obtain and manage their financial life all through our powerful platform ecosystem. We are rapidly growing as we expand our product offerings and global footprint, and this growth continues to present new and exciting challenges as we push our industry into its future. We eliminate waste throughout the industry and calculate the complex into simple, valuable solutions to improve people's lives. We are humble, driven, and committed to improving the lives of millions.
About the Position
The Assurance Legal team is seeking a highly talented, motivated paralegal to join our rapidly growing company. With Prudential Financial’s acquisition of Assurance in 2019, this position is a unique opportunity that combines the ability to work for a young, innovative start-up with the support and strength of over 140-year-old financial services company.
What you’ll do in this role:
- Legal research. You will conduct legal research and report to the attorneys on various laws, regulations, case law, and regulatory guidance relevant to Assurance’s business activities.
- Litigation, complaint, and legal process support. You will help compile, review and analyze responsive information and evidence in supporting Assurance and Prudential attorneys in handling litigation, complaints, and legal requests for information involving Assurance. You will respond to certain complaints yourself under the direction and supervision of an attorney. You will also serve as a key point of contact for Prudential’s litigation and regulatory teams in collecting responsive documents and information, as needed.
- Corporate governance and licensing. You will help coordinate and oversee the maintenance of Assurance’s state registrations, licensing, and other required filings, with the support of Prudential’s corporate governance team and outside vendors. You will maintain Assurance’s corporate officer listings and help execute other corporate resolutions, as needed.
- Contract review and maintenance. You will review, revise, and negotiate certain business contracts under the direction and supervision of an attorney. You will also help organize and maintain a new electronic database for contract management.
- Knowledge Management. You will help maintain document and knowledge management systems designed to ensure historical advice and necessary information is up-to-date and readily available within the Assurance Legal team.
- Project Management. You will organize, manage, track progress, and drive completion of special legal projects, as needed.
To be successful in this role, you must possess the following qualifications:
- A bachelor’s degree and at least three (3) years of experience working in an in-house legal department or law firm are preferred.
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail, and ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Strong legal research and analytical skills, with the ability to effectively communicate and distill research and information in a clear, understandable way.
- A willingness to learn new areas, take initiative and work independently.
- Strong project management and time management skills with the ability to prioritize work across multiple projects at one time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, and an ability to work collaboratively within the Legal team, across Assurance, with key business and control partners at Prudential, and with outside counsel and vendors.
- Experience and comfort working with technology.
- Sound judgment and an ability to handle confidential matters with discretion.
What Assurance Offers
At Assurance, we strive for audacious goals, and we’re relentless in our pursuit to be the very best we can be, personally and professionally. Our benefits program is intended to enable every Assurance employee to be the best version of themselves. Our culture clears the way for you to challenge yourself and achieve the impossible. Learn more about what makes Assurance
Trust and Autonomy
At Assurance, we hire experts in their field, and we give them the independence and trust to build based on their expertise. We find that brilliant people, given this freedom and trust, will collaborate to build far more amazing things than they could ever be directed to create.
Drive to Innovate
We don't settle for the status quo – we're a team of innovators who believe that there’s almost always a better way. We operate on first principles – we challenge commonly held assumptions to create new and better solutions from scratch. In our short history we’ve made a lot progress with this mentality, launching new business lines and innovative products constantly. Following our historic acquisition by Prudential, we have more support than ever to innovate and change the world of insurance and financial services.
We leave ego at the door and work together to uncover the truth. We prioritize what is best for the whole and avoid focusing on what is best for the individual. We all care about achieving goals more than looking good, and we're eager to constantly be learning from each other.
Flexible Working Environment
Your schedule and working hours are up to you at Assurance. We care more about results than when and where you get your work done, and we find that a flexible schedule can help alleviate the stress of a rigid work-life balance.
Unlimited Time Off
We work hard, so it’s important that we take time to refresh and reset when we need it. We empower our employees to take the time that make sense for them.
Nutritional Snacks and Weekly Lunches
We encourage a healthy lifestyle for employees in all ways that we can, and we don’t want it to be tough to find sustenance when you’re hard at work! We provide healthy, nutritional snacks throughout our office, and outstanding local coffee. We also host a weekly lunch, featuring top local restaurants, to accompany our all-company meeting.
We want to make sure it’s easy for you to get to and from work, so we a provide free public transportation or greatly subsidized parking close to our office.
From the beginning, our founders believed that beautiful, open, inspiring spaces lead to energy and creativity. We seek beautiful office spaces in all of our locations, and in 2020 we’ll be taking occupancy of a stunning new office on the top two floors of Madison Center in downtown Seattle – this space features floor to ceiling windows with stunning 360 degree views of the Puget Sound, and an exclusive private rooftop deck.
Competitive Health Benefits
Access to high quality healthcare is core to our business, and we care that our employees don’t have to worry about visiting a doctor. All employees receive competitive health, dental, and vision benefits packages.
Choice of High-End Equipment
We want to make sure you’re empowered to create amazing things. We give new employees the option of a variety of high-end computers and accessories.
We believe in the importance of investing in yourself in a variety of ways, including financially. We offer a strong 401k plan, with options to invest in traditional, Roth, and after-tax options, all backed by a best-in-class platform from Prudential.
Read Full Job Description