Senior Corporate Counsel
Smartsheet is seeking a talented Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy to join its collaborative legal team. We are looking for a highly capable and motivated individual with strong interpersonal skills to lead the legal privacy team and advise the company on a range of privacy and data governance tasks initiatives. This position reports to the VP of Legal and is located in Smartsheet’s offices in Bellevue, Washington.
- Working with key stakeholders, direct and oversee internal privacy programs.
- Supervise and manage the legal privacy team (currently comprised of three other members).
- Maintain subject matter expertise in areas of privacy and data protection laws (including GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and CCPA), regulatory guidance, and enforcement actions.
- Negotiate, draft, and review privacy and data processing contract terms in customer and vendor contracts.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of standard forms of agreement, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents pertaining to contracts and other legal practice areas.
- Provide strategic and practical counsel to internal clients (such as compliance, product, marketing, sales, and people operations) on privacy and data governance principles and requirements.
- Manage the development and maintenance of Smartsheet’s (and its affiliates') privacy and data-related policies.
- Develop and deliver general and role-specific privacy trainings.
- Collaborate with members of the legal team in Bellevue, Boston, and London, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Support general business operations and complete special projects as requested.
- 7+ years of relevant experience (in-house experience strongly preferred) with a minimum of 3 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters
- Prior experience managing and supporting direct reports
- Proven ability to lead and drive projects to completion.
- Expertise in negotiating contracts and working directly with sales and procurement.
- Disposition to uphold company’s business standards and risk tolerance and recommend practical solutions respecting such standards and tolerance
- Flexible with an aptitude for problem solving.
- Able to operate efficiently in a fast-paced environment that places a high premium on excellence, execution, and teamwork.
- Skilled at developing strong partnerships with other members of the legal team as well as members of other business units
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business judgment, and strategic thinking.
- Strong team- and service-oriented mentality.
- Persistent attention to detail.
- Proven ability to manage communications in various time-zones and confidence in making independent decisions
- J.D. from an accredited law school and an active member of the WA bar.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.