Remitly is on a mission to transform the lives of immigrants and their families by providing the most trusted financial products on the planet. For nearly 10 years, we have been tirelessly delivering on our promises to immigrants sending their hard earned money home. Today, we are incredibly proud to have served millions of customers globally with Remitly and our newly launched banking product, Passbook. We strive daily to meet our promise to our customers by building peace of mind into everything we do. Join over 1,300 employees across 9 offices who are growing their careers while having a positive impact on people globally.
Remitly is seeking an experienced corporate and commercial counsel to lead our company's mergers and acquisition (M&A) activity, advise the global business on high stakes agreements and provide regulatory product counsel to accelerate the growth and success of our growing fintech business. You will be a key member of our friendly and growing legal team, partnering with the Corporate and Business Development functions as Remitly expands its business through strategic acquisitions and partnerships, innovative commercial agreements, and cutting edge products in evolving regulatory contexts.
What You'll Do:
- Support our global business as lead counsel on domestic and cross border M&A transactions. This includes the management of external counsel relationships, liaising with senior stakeholders on a cross-functional basis and reviewing and negotiating transaction documentation, filings and agreements.
- Support our business as counsel negotiating agreements with key vendors, banks, payment processors and disbursement partners around the world.
- Partner with the business to create the policies and systems necessary to scale with our rapidly expanding global remittance business.
- Identify opportunities for and independently lead the implementation of process improvements
- Participate actively in other legal team projects, including managing emergent legal issues.
Who You Are:
- Personable, inquisitive, enthusiastic, and a self-starter – all with a strong bias for action, desire for self-improvement, and the ability to embrace change
- A team player who can effectively work with business partners and legal colleagues cooperatively and efficiently
- You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills, as well as demonstrated proficiency in working closely with and advising senior executives of an organization.
- You're independent, but also work well under direction and in a team setting
- You exercise sound judgment and discretion including the ability to "show backbone"
- You work well in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment, across time zones, and with competing deadlines
- Works well with people at all levels inside and outside the company
- Flexible, resourceful, and driven to innovate
- Possess high standards of ethics and professional integrity aligned to Remitly's Values.
- Washington State qualified corporate lawyer with strong legal experience and expertise in commercial (IP/IT), corporate and regulatory with a focus on Financial Services and Technology. Working knowledge of payments, financial services regulation, and consumer facing fintech business and industry preferred.
- 6+ combined years of legal experience as an in-house transactional legal counsel and/or in a top national or international law firm.
- Highly entrepreneurial and self-directed individual, resourceful, creative and capable of handling multiple projects at a time
- Outstanding organizational, communication, drafting and presentation skills
- Ability to identify a range of legal issues / risks and advise within a structured and analytical commercial framework
- Willingness to travel globally, as needed
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and general comfort with learning new software skills
- Strong transactional background, with familiarity or financial technology transactions
- Working knowledge of global privacy laws and regulations
- Worked in a company during a period of rapid growth from hundreds to thousands of employees and with a global presence
- Demonstrated senior legal management and team leader skills
Who We Are:
Remitly is a group of passionate people working to make international payments easier and more transparent on both the web and mobile devices. We are looking for team members to join us that want to make a difference and change an industry. We pride ourselves on aiming high and delivering results, data being at the heart of everything we do, and encouraging our team to own business decisions and outcomes. Sound like the place for you? Join us.
- Unlimited paid time off
- Health, dental, and vision benefits + 401k plan with company matching
- Company contributions to your HSA or FSA plan, if you choose one
- Continuing education and corridor travel benefits
- Scholars program
Remitly is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Equal employment opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at Remitly. We are committed to nondiscrimination across our global organization and in all of our business operations. Employment is determined based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, gender identification and expression, marital status, military status or status as an honorably discharge/veteran, pregnancy (including a woman's potential to get pregnant, pregnancy-related conditions, and childbearing), sexual orientation, age (40 and over), national origin, ancestry, citizenship or immigration status, physical, mental, or sensory disability (including the use of a trained dog guide or service animal), HIV/AIDS or hepatitis C status, genetic information, status as an actual or perceived victim of domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, or any other protected class as established by law.
Remitly is an E-Verify Employer