At Assurance, we are disrupting the antiquated and inefficient world of insurance and financial services. Our team of world-class software engineers, data scientists, and business professionals are modernizing how people obtain and manage their financial life all through our powerful platform ecosystem. We are rapidly growing as we expand our product offerings and global footprint, and this growth continues to present new and exciting challenges as we push our industry into its future. We eliminate waste throughout the industry and calculate the complex into simple, valuable solutions to improve people's lives. We are humble, driven, and committed to improving the lives of millions.
About the Position
The Assurance Legal team is seeking a highly talented, business savvy and experienced attorney to join our rapidly growing company. With Prudential Financial’s acquisition of Assurance in 2019, this position is a unique opportunity that combines the ability to work for a young, innovative start-up with the support and strength of an over 140-year-old financial services company.
What you’ll do in this role:
- You will handle a wide array of legal responsibilities in supporting the continued growth and expansion of Assurance’s direct-to-consumer insurance platform, which uses advanced data science and licensed agents to identify personalized solutions for consumers’ life, health, Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, property & casualty and personal finance needs.
- Among your responsibilities, you will provide primary legal support in Assurance’s distribution of Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement and other health insurance products. However, you will need to be comfortable working in a wide variety of legal disciplines, including insurance distribution, marketing, employment, privacy, intellectual property, litigation, regulatory affairs, contracts, and corporate law. It is unlikely that any two days will be the same in this role. You should expect to negotiate and draft key agreements; counsel product managers, data scientists, engineers, marketers, compliance officers, and other business partners on everything from the addition of new products or features on the platform to digital marketing initiatives to new regulatory obligations; support complaint handling and litigation matters; and track and advise on emerging legal and regulatory issues that could impact Assurance.
- In this role, you also will manage outside counsel relationships, as well as work closely and collaboratively with subject matter experts across Prudential’s Law, Compliance, Business Ethics, and External Affairs team.
- This role is an ideal opportunity to help shape the future of insurance and personal finance.
To be successful in this role, you must possess the following qualifications:
- A JD degree and bar membership in good standing in at least one state. You will need to become admitted to the limited practice of law as House Counsel in the State of Washington if not admitted to the bar in that state.
- At least five (5) years of law firm, regulatory or in-house law department experience.
- Superior analytical skills.
- Strong work-ethic, with an ability to work independently and reliably under tight timeframes in a fast-paced environment.
- An ability to write and communicate clearly and simply in providing focused, technically-sound, practical legal solutions.
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations governing insurance distribution, particularly with regard to health insurance and Medicare products.
- Intellectual curiosity and an appetite for learning new legal disciplines outside your current areas of experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work and collaborate cross-functionally with various levels within Assurance and Prudential, including senior management and technical experts, to deliver actionable, solution-oriented advice.
- Courage and confidence to speak up, challenge and advocate for a point of view.
- An ability to engage in intelligent risk taking and show excellent judgment in comfortably making clear, rational and timely decisions in the best interests of Assurance and our customers despite ambiguity, complexity, and an ever-evolving regulatory environment.
What Assurance Offers
At Assurance, we strive for audacious goals, and we’re relentless in our pursuit to be the very best we can be, personally and professionally. Our benefits program is intended to enable every Assurance employee to be the best version of themselves. Our culture clears the way for you to challenge yourself and achieve the impossible. Learn more about what makes Assurance
Trust and Autonomy
At Assurance, we hire experts in their field, and we give them the independence and trust to build based on their expertise. We find that brilliant people, given this freedom and trust, will collaborate to build far more amazing things than they could ever be directed to create.
Drive to Innovate
We don't settle for the status quo – we're a team of innovators who believe that there’s almost always a better way. We operate on first principles – we challenge commonly held assumptions to create new and better solutions from scratch. In our short history we’ve made a lot progress with this mentality, launching new business lines and innovative products constantly. Following our historic acquisition by Prudential, we have more support than ever to innovate and change the world of insurance and financial services.
We leave ego at the door and work together to uncover the truth. We prioritize what is best for the whole and avoid focusing on what is best for the individual. We all care about achieving goals more than looking good, and we're eager to constantly be learning from each other.
Flexible Working Environment
Your schedule and working hours are up to you at Assurance. We care more about results than when and where you get your work done, and we find that a flexible schedule can help alleviate the stress of a rigid work-life balance.
Unlimited Time Off
We work hard, so it’s important that we take time to refresh and reset when we need it. We empower our employees to take the time that make sense for them.
Nutritional Snacks and Weekly Lunches
We encourage a healthy lifestyle for employees in all ways that we can, and we don’t want it to be tough to find sustenance when you’re hard at work! We provide healthy, nutritional snacks throughout our office, and outstanding local coffee. We also host a weekly lunch, featuring top local restaurants, to accompany our all-company meeting.
We want to make sure it’s easy for you to get to and from work, so we a provide free public transportation or greatly subsidized parking close to our office.
From the beginning, our founders believed that beautiful, open, inspiring spaces lead to energy and creativity. We seek beautiful office spaces in all of our locations, and in 2020 we’ll be taking occupancy of a stunning new office on the top two floors of Madison Center in downtown Seattle – this space features floor to ceiling windows with stunning 360 degree views of the Puget Sound, and an exclusive private rooftop deck.
Competitive Health Benefits
Access to high quality healthcare is core to our business, and we care that our employees don’t have to worry about visiting a doctor. All employees receive competitive health, dental, and vision benefits packages.
Choice of High-End Equipment
We want to make sure you’re empowered to create amazing things. We give new employees the option of a variety of high-end computers and accessories.
We believe in the importance of investing in yourself in a variety of ways, including financially. We offer a strong 401k plan, with options to invest in traditional, Roth, and after-tax options, all backed by a best-in-class platform from Prudential.
Read Full Job Description