Communications Manager at Ookla
Ready to challenge yourself to dive deep and think big? Ookla, the company behind Speedtest and Downdetector, is a team of passionate individuals who have turned clever ideas into unique products and a thriving business. Globally, millions of tests are performed every day across the Speedtest ecosystem on the web, desktop and mobile apps, embedded in routers and deployed in thousands of servers. With all that usage comes countless ways to dissect and analyze our data, and plenty of exciting opportunities to optimize our monetization strategy. It also gives us the ability to help make the internet better, faster and more accessible for everyone. If you crave the chance to do your best work in a flexible work environment where we value individuality and fun as much as we value talent, we want to hear from you.
Ookla is looking for a Press Manager to take a leading role in the development of Ookla’s global voice.
This role is ideal for an individual who is established in their communications career with significant dedicated press or analyst relations experience. Ookla provides an exciting in-house opportunity to work with a suite of world-renowned global brands, including Speedtest and Downdetector, and share meaningful network insights that help make the internet better and faster for everyone.
Media relations move fast at Ookla. We work with journalists in virtually every country in the world and our expertise is sought daily by leading top-tier publications. Run a simple internet search for “Ookla”, “Speedtest”, and “Downdetector” in the news and you’ll see what we mean.
Flexibility is important, as it is likely that the role’s responsibilities will change from week to week depending on our editorial calendar and current events. Strong preference will be given to candidates with some prior experience managing corporate communications in enterprise tech, telecom, or other highly technical industries.
We are people first, employees second at Ookla, and we know there is no one perfect path to any job. If you’re excited about the work we’re doing and think you have a creative new approach, please apply whether or not your experience matches the job description. We strongly believe diversity of all kinds makes us better. We are an equal opportunity employer actively working to build an inclusive workforce at all levels of the company. [Read our latest diversity report here].Responsibilities
- Contribute meaningfully to communications and thought leadership strategy at Ookla, including driving the development of key messaging pillars across industry verticals
- Build and maintain strong relationships with journalists in tech, telecom, policy and government, and related fields
- Craft and send compelling pitches that effectively connect journalists and analysts to Ookla’s offerings
- Manage inbound press inquiries, often juggling the priorities of multiple requests at a time
- Work closely with the executive leadership team on speaking opportunity proposals, interview prep, and other external appearances
- Develop and coordinate communications strategy around key annual events (e.g. industry trade shows)
- Maintain close alignment with Ookla’s editorial calendar and content team
- Become an expert in Ookla’s brands, products, datasets, and audiences so as to be able to best represent them effectively to media and analysts
The heading says “requirements” but we’re looking for the right person not the exact list. If your life experience prepares you for similar challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- 4-5+ years experience in PR, analyst relations, communications, or related field
- Strong business writing skills
- Adept at managing media relationships and inquiries across countries, cultures, and time zones
- Skilled at distilling complex information and data into easily understood storylines
- Ability to work closely with colleagues from all backgrounds and foster a positive, inclusive work environment
- Experience in the internet or telecommunications industry not required, but a plus
- Energized by a fast-paced environment
- Have a point of view, but are low ego
People come first at Ookla. We offer top-of-market compensation, flexible schedules, transit passes, on- and off-site happy hours, team activities, lunch on Wednesdays and an office kitchen full of snacks. Our comprehensive benefits package includes 401(k) matching, unlimited paid vacation and sick time, ESPP options, health/dental insurance coverage and a stand-out parental leave. We make sure you have the best hardware, software and tools available for you to do your work, and we provide excellent flexibility for working remotely as time and responsibilities allow. Visit [our Built In Seattle page] for even more information.