Director, Head of External Communications at Flexport
We are reinventing global trade.
We believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make global trade easy for everyone.
Flexport is looking for a director to lead its External Communications function. This is a unique opportunity to optimize the PR machine and grow our reach to prepare for Flexport’s next stage of growth.
Flexport has been a high growth company since our founding in 2013 and our ambitions for the next few years only exceed our track record. We’ll be entering new markets, introducing new products and talking to new audiences. Add that the supply chain has gone from a niche industry to dinner table conversation and the stakes for PR have never been higher.
As part of the Global Brand function, you’ll lead the External Comms team and collaborate with teammates in Content and Creative as well as partners in Marketing, People and most importantly, with our deep bench of subject matter experts across the company. They will become your best sources as you conceptualize and deliver stories that move the needle for Flexport in a competitive - and often chaotic - marketplace.
- Lead the External Comms function and set the global PR strategy for Flexport, in close partnership with executive and regional leadership. You’ll also drive the execution of this strategy in the US, together with the External Comms team based here.
- Get hands-on with US media relations in partnership with the Comms team and agency support, from pitch ideation and spokesperson coaching to landing killer pieces and then developing the playbook that makes it 10x easier to do it all again.
- Contribute a highly-informed view of the media and other external audiences in conversations with Brand, Marketing and our execs at high impact moments - big or small - as we evolve the Flexport story.
- Be a leader: you’ll manage and nurture a growing team, manage budgets and oversee vendor relationships
You should have:
- 7-10 years of relevant experience in B2B (tech) PR, including agency and/or high-growth start-ups and at least two years managing people.
- Media relationships in technology and business that you can tap on behalf of Flexport from day one.
- A BS/BA degree in a relevant field from an accredited college or university
- Experience working directly with executives and subject matter experts. You know how to engage them appropriately and efficiently to achieve maximum results.
- No objection to rolling up your sleeves. You’ll be working in a small team; no task can be too big or too small.
- A proven hit rate. You know how to manage complex projects, multiple stakeholders and competing priorities to create an actionable plan and get the most impactful work done. You’re smart in building the feedback loop that will make your plan a success: informing the right stakeholders in Brand and beyond, gaining their buy-in and keeping them informed as you go.
- A positive attitude: this is a tough gig, and we do it with a great team. We roll with the punches and celebrate the wins (carbs are usually involved).
At Flexport, we believe global trade can move the human race forward. That’s why it’s our mission to make it easy and accessible for everyone. We’re shaping the future of a $8.6T industry with solutions powered by innovative technology and exceptional people. Today, companies of all sizes—from emerging brands to Fortune 500s—use Flexport technology to move more than $19B of merchandise across 112 countries a year.
The recent global supply chain crisis has put Flexport center stage as we continue to play a pivotal role in how goods move around the world. At a valuation of $8 billion, we’re experiencing record growth and are proud to have the support of the best investors in the game who believe in our mission, solutions and people. Ready to tackle global challenges that impact business, society, and the environment? Come join us.
Worried about not having any logistics experience?
Don’t be! Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone. That’s why it’s important to bring people from diverse backgrounds and experiences together with our industry veterans to help move the global logistics industry forward. You won’t need to become the world’s expert on ocean freight (we already hired that guy).
We know this industry is complex. That’s why we invest in education starting day one with Flexport Academy, a one week intensive onboarding program designed specifically to set every new Flexport employee up for success.
At Flexport, our ability to fulfill our mission of making global trade easy for everyone relies on having a diverse, dedicated and engaged workforce. That is why Flexport is committed to creating and nurturing an environment where anyone can be their authentic self. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical and mental disability, health status, marital and family status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, military and veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by applicable law.