Director of Public Relations
HELP US MAKE HISTORY. Millions trust Leafly to help them find unbiased information about nearby strains and dispensaries, discover new cannabis brands and products, and to stay up-to-date on the latest cannabis information. Leafly started as an excel spreadsheet and has since grown to become the world’s largest cannabis information resource. We’re expanding rapidly, and we’re looking for smart, forward-thinking leaders to help us achieve our goal of shaping the global cannabis landscape.
A career at Leafly combines the excitement of a start-up, the social purpose of a non-profit, and the growth opportunities of a major corporation. Leafly salaries and benefit packages are very competitive, the office perks are excellent, and we promise that you’ll never be bored. If you have what it takes, you’ll be joining a global network of innovative, passionate individuals on a revolutionary mission to change the world for the better.
We are currently seeking a Director of Public Relations to work in our Marketing department at our headquarters in Seattle, WA.
What You Will Be Doing:
As Leaflys’ Public Relations Director you will be working in a rapidly changing environment, responsible for driving all activities related to public relations for Leaflys’ brand, products, and services as well as collaborating with Privateer Holdings on industry and analyst relations. In this hands-on position, you will be responsible for creating and driving storylines which highlight the Leafly business, drive the right type of conversation, and position our brand as a thought-leader in the cannabis consumer marketplace. You will leverage your existing media contacts, and develop new ones, to build positive relationships with key members of the media and industry influencers. You will develop and manage the day-to-day execution of a media relations plan, media agency, and materials to support our objectives.
The right candidate will have public relations experience in the technology industry, and a blend of both agency and company experience. Startup experience is a plus. You must have a proven track record of driving brand awareness and dealing with both press and analysts. This position will report directly to the head of marketing.
- Develop and implement strategic PR programs to achieve significant increases in brand awareness
- Manage and drive all efforts with our PR agency
- Actively identify key media outlets and opportunities for press coverage
- Identify media trends, news cycles and spin opportunities
- Develop compelling story angles, create press releases, bylines, contributed articles
- Work closely with all cross functional teams to understand opportunities and support campaigns including content & editorial, product development, analytics, digital and social media
- Analyst Relations: Inbound and outbound. Support Leafly on regular briefings with analysts, using data to drive stories.
- Collaborate with Privateer Holdings public relations and communications team.
- Develop and analyze reports to measure success of PR programs, justify ROI to executives and inform the broader team to keep everyone in the loop, learning, and capitalizing on media coverage
- Manage budgets, campaigns and deliver ROI
- Build strong relationships with the rest of the marketing team, editorial & content, sales, product management, senior management and customers.
Requirements, Qualifications and Competencies:
- 10+ years as a public relations director at both an agency and technology company
- Prior global PR experience for B2C and B2B tech company
- Can handle ambiguity by using common sense, problem solving skills and an acute sense of judgment.
- Knowledge and experience with wire services
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Deep understanding of and experience with social media
- Must be a collaborative team-player
- Strong attention to detail and follow through
- Sense of humor – ability to stay cool under pressure
- Self-starter who enjoys working in a fast-paced, innovative technology environment
- Flexible, willing to help when and where needed
- Ability to work independently with little supervision
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA a plus
Please, no phone calls/no recruiting agencies.
The job description is representative of typical duties and responsibilities for the position and is not all-inclusive. Other duties and responsibilities may be assigned in accordance with business needs. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. A background check will be conducted after a conditional offer of employment is extended.
Read Full Job Description