Head of Communications
About the Role: RealSelf is looking for an experienced communications professional to join our team as Head of Communications. This individual’s primary responsibilities will be building awareness of the RealSelf brand and ensuring we create compelling messaging, programs to engage our target audiences.
You will develop and manage our corporate communications strategy, oversee the intersection of our B2C and B2B public relations, and influence our editorial content strategy and social media marketing to ultimately raise brand awareness, enhance our corporate reputation, drive traffic and increase engagement among key target audiences.
The ideal candidate will have significant progressive experience building communications programs and teams, tracking program effectiveness qualitatively and quantitatively, serving as a senior strategic marketing communications advisor to internal and external groups, and serving as a senior corporate spokesperson.
What You’ll be doing:
- Craft the company’s overall corporate communications strategy, working closely with other marketing executives and senior leaders, that integrates corporate, B2C and B2B PR and media relations, data and trend stories, content marketing, social media marketing, industry & influencer relations, executive visibility programs, as well as employee communications & employer brand to help raise brand awareness and attract consumers, doctors and candidates.
- Serve as senior media spokesperson, and manage a small but nimble team, agencies and contract resources.
- Provide day-to-day communications counsel and coaching to CEO and corporate executives on messaging, materials and statements to ensure consistency across channels and effective issues management
- Develop and maintain strong, productive relationships with top tier media across business, consumer (beauty, health and lifestyle), tech and trade press to reinforce key messages and drive coverage that raises company’s profile and influences decisions to try.
- Help direct RealSelf data-driven storytelling initiatives to ensure data integrity and high quality content resonates with target demographics and reinforces brand’s trust and credibility.
- Help ensure RealSelf communications programs and practices align with brand strategy to build and manage overall corporate reputation and overall credibility across multiple channel. Employ social/digital media strategies to advance RealSelf business and communications goals
- Develop high-quality written materials that convey RealSelf corporate and product narrative, including messaging platforms, press releases, blogs, Q&As, speeches, editorials, articles, infographics, etc.
- Build and maintain a strong network of business partners across all levels of the global organization.
- Work closely with our People team to build effective employee communications platform and support recruitment efforts through employer branding and recruitment marketing initiatives.
- Manage potential issues proactively and as they arise to manage interests of the company and our key stakeholders.
- Work with other marketing and business leads to effectively monitor and report on ongoing program effectiveness
- Track and manage departmental budget
You may be the right fit if you have:
- 8-10+ years of progressive communications/PR experience with experience in content marketing and social media marketing. Experience with online marketplace businesses and/or leading B2C and B2C brands highly desirable.
- Demonstrated understanding of building overall strategic communications plans, messaging strategy and delivery.
- Must be a self-starter and leader among leaders with ability to serve as senior counselor to executives and industry leaders on a regular basis.
- Strong writing and verbal communications skills required. Must also be compelling storyteller with ability to dissect diverse data sets into meaningful stories and soundbites.
- Creative yet analytical - always testing new creative ideas with ability to measure results and inform future decision making. Must stay up on and ahead of trends in communications, content and social media marketing.
- Experience managing agencies and teams, and driving cross-functional programs and projects.
- Track record of working closely with internal creative departments and outside agencies to achieve measurable results.
Work Environment: The RealSelf office sits in a historic Pioneer Square building. Employees also have the option to bring their dogs to work! Telecommute option dependent on job function at discretion of the manager.
Travel: Travel 10-15% with flexible timing.
RealSelf.com is the leading consumer destination in the $32B US medical aesthetics market. We make it easy to get the information and deep support needed to make confident purchase decisions. Since 2006 our authentic stories, unbiased ratings, and expert answers from board-certified doctors have helped millions of people explore treatments and decisions that range from laser skin resurfacing to highly considered cosmetic surgery. With the backing of world-class investors we’re growing RealSelf into a global business with a broad range of services. Come join our super talented and passionate team!
About the Industry
Consumers globally spend more than $60 billion annually on medical aesthetic procedures that include everything from Botox to Invisalign and Lasik. In the U.S. alone the non-surgical market is experiencing growth rates that are twice that of healthcare and cosmetics. RealSelf research has found that 30 million women in the U.S. are actively interested in pursuing an aesthetic treatment and turn online to get the information needed to move forward. RealSelf uniquely educates consumers with real patient testimonials and expert content, and closes the trust gap by bringing unprecedented transparency into the market.
Check out our realselflife Instagram account to keep up on company updates and learn more about life at RealSelf.
RealSelf is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.