Product Marketing Manager at Convoy
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:44 p.m. (PST) on Thursday, February 20, 2020
Hey I’m Ari Bixhorn – I head up shipper marketing for Convoy. I’m looking for a fun, experienced, borderline-obsessive product marketer to help me drive awareness of our technology and develop our lead generation efforts.
The scoop on Convoy
At the most basic level, Convoy creates a mobile app that connects manufacturers and suppliers with truck drivers who deliver millions of loads of freight each year.
Convoy is a lot more than an app, though, and the impact of our work goes far beyond matchmaking. We see an opportunity for the trucking industry to reduce millions of tons of wasted CO2 emissions every year. Today, when you see an 18-wheeler driving on the road, it’s actually empty 35% of the time. Our technology helps reduce those empty miles, cutting carbon waste dramatically. In fact, if the industry as a whole could achieve the same efficiency improvements that Convoy enables, it would reduce CO2 emissions by 32 million metric tons each year.
By reducing empty miles, we also help truck drivers and shippers. Specifically, truckers can earn more money with Convoy because we help ensure that their trailers are always full. And shippers like Anheuser-Busch and Unilever are able ship more efficiently by having access to a massive, high quality network of trucks that are always available.
The scoop on this job
Convoy continues to grow at a rapid rate based on a great product-market fit and accelerating demand for our Digital Freight Network. As a senior product marketing manager, your mission will be to expand awareness of Convoy among shippers and bring new qualified leads into the sales funnel.
If you’ve done product marketing before, you should be familiar with a lot what you’ll do in this role:
1. Core messaging - You’ll create positioning frameworks, product sheets, buyer insight documents, and other materials that ensure we understand our customers and consistently position our products.
2. Competitive analysis - You’ll keep tabs on other players in digital freight, providing insights to our product team and creating messaging and campaigns to compete effectively in the market.
3. Content writing - You’ll write a lot of stuff. Think web pages, blog posts, press releases, white papers, case studies, executive briefs, FAQs, and more.
4. Sales enablement - You’ll create sales presentations, scripted demos, battlecards, and other materials that enable our partners in sales to sell more effectively.
5. Presentations - You’ll speak as a product expert on our webinars and you’ll be onstage at various industry events.
6. Product launches - You’ll build our go-to-market strategy and manage our product launch plans, working with our friends on the digital marketing and product teams.
7.Press and analyst engagement - You’ll be a spokesperson with journalists and industry analysts.
Three reasons why you want this job
1. Cool tech that truly benefits people and our planet. Our product and engineering teams are doing transformative work in machine learning and data science. Their efforts help truck drivers earn more and shippers achieve their sustainability goals while significantly reducing wasted carbon emissions. If you like geeky tech and you want your work to have real meaning, Convoy is a great place to be.
2. People who aren’t just wicked smart. Having smart people is necessary but insufficient for a great work environment. What I love about Convoy is that people I’ve met here are down-to-Earth, collaborative, and excited to be doing what they do.
3. The opportunity to build marketing programs from the ground up. This is a role for people who want to build. When you join, you’ll have the chance to build new, scalable demand gen programs that accelerate our growth.
Three things I need from you
1. Technical chops. Marketing Convoy effectively requires you to understand the product at a fairly deep level. So if you’ve done technical marketing or evangelism for B2B tech companies in the past, or have an undergrad degree in computer science/engineering, we should probably chat.
2. Great written and verbal communication. Once you have a great understanding of our product, you’ll need to effectively communicate its value to audiences with varying degrees of technical depth. So I’m looking for someone who writes well and knows how to give great presentations and demos.
3. A PhD in GSD (Gettin’ Stuff Done). I’m really looking for an execution machine—someone who can get a lot of stuff done on their own, who can thrive amid ambiguity, and who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves and work long hours to churn out great marketing work.
There’s one other thing I need from you—a fantastic attitude. I’m looking for someone who shares my passion for our product, who’s always optimistic in the face of tough challenges, who’s comfortable with what they do and don’t know, and who knows how to detach from the day-to-day madness of the job and have fun with the team.
Sound like this might be you? If so, I look forward to chatting.
Convoy is an equal-opportunity employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. If you’re a passionate team player who wants to have an outsized impact on a diverse and dynamic team, we’d love to hear from you!