We are hiring a Director of Applied Science for our Recommendation and Personalization team. This role can be located in either Boston, MA or Seattle, WA. This is a leadership position that will have exposure across the entire business, influencing the vision and implementation of machine learning systems that power recommendations and personalization across our suite of products. You're the right candidate if you bring experience spanning data science, software engineering and team leadership and collaboration. This role offers a great opportunity for professional growth with the leading online pet retailer in the US. You will have a unique opportunity of providing pet parents and pet partners with a personalized, easy and integrated experience on Chewy.com.
What You'll Do:
- Hire, develop and lead a team of applied scientists, data scientists and taxonomists.
- Drive decisions and work with multiple product teams to prioritize data science initiatives in the recommendation and personalization space.
- Drive development of the science strategy across Chewy. Push adoption of emerging and relevant approaches to solve personalization problems.
- Work and collaborate with colleagues in applied science, data science and engineering to drive best practices in development, testing, and production deployment at scale.
- Establish strong working relationships at all organizational levels across different functional teams.
- Identify and manage priorities within the context of overall Chewy objectives.
What You'll Need:
- MS or PhD in a quantitative field.
- Demonstrated history of leadership in managing high impact data science and engineering projects either in business or in academia.
- 8+ years of experience in managing and mentoring a team of data scientists, engineers and technical product managers.
- Proven experience with bringing structured thinking in ambiguous problems spaces and delivering solutions.
- Position may require travel