Junior Systems Administrator
The Junior Systems Admin will help build and maintain the Geocaching infrastructure across three Seattle locations, as well as provide excellent desktop support to all of our teammates.
What You’ll Do
Your primary responsibility will be to provide the first line of support for Geocaching team members, which you can expect to represent around 30-40% of your workflow. This includes provisioning workstations for employees, conducting technology orientation sessions with new employees, managing printers and conference room equipment, and fielding miscellaneous support requests.
The remainder of your job duties will focus on systems infrastructure projects. You’ll work alongside the other IT team members to help build and support our unique production and office infrastructure. This includes deployment, configuration, administration, and maintenance of windows and Linux web/application servers, network and storage devices, databases, monitoring systems, backup systems, VMware environment, etc.
Qualifications & Required Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field with 2+ years of corporate IT support experience, or 6+ years of corporate IT support experience.
- Abundant cross-platform expertise, multi-versed with Windows, Linux, and Mac environments, and their various feature-sets.
- Proficient knowledge of PC hardware, phone systems, local area networks, file shares and permissions, support tracking/ticketing systems, VPN client applications, mail systems, backup systems, and antivirus systems.
- Strong knowledge of Active Directory (building & maintaining group policies, administrative templates, sites and services, etc).
- Solid understanding of network communications (routing, subnets, vlans, firewalls, dhcp, dns, etc).
- Experience with disk imaging software, WDS, DSC, or other deployment and config management tools.
- Experience configuring and administering virtual environments such as VMware vSphere.
- Experience managing Google G-Suite line of products.
- Familiarity with ProLiant or other server class hardware platforms, and storage systems.
- Experience writing and using scripts (PowerShell, bash, etc.) for managing workstations/servers or equivalent development experience.
- Experience with configuration and deployment of common linux web and application servers (rabbitmq, postfix, apache, nginx, mySQL, magento, logstash, etc).
- Experience troubleshooting handheld devices, including Android and iPhone.
- Prior experience working with AWS or other cloud-based service providers.
- Experience administering Microsoft SQL Server preferred.
- Ability to independently research and self-educate on new hardware and software systems.
- Ability to deliver a great customer service experience with reliability and enthusiasm.
- CCNA and/or CompTIA certification a plus
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values in actions and behaviors.
- Superb communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations.
- Desire to learn and a “quick study” with new concepts, systems and technologies.
- Self-directed and open to coaching/feedback.
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize workload.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time. In this position, you must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualifications for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills and perform other related work as required.
Geocaching HQ embraces a diverse and inclusive workplace. Authenticity is one of our company core values and we strive to celebrate our differences. We encourage everyone to apply.
How to Submit Your Application
Everything about working at Geocaching HQ sounding awesome so far? Now it’s time to show us your chops! To apply, first solve this puzzle and submit along WITH your resume:
Solve for ((A*B+C-D-E-F)/G-H+I)/(I*J^K). You should end with an integer. Convert the result to hexadecimal and submit with your resume. Consideration may still be given for an incorrect final answer if you include your individual answers A-K to show how you calculated it. For fastest consideration, send an email with the subject “I did it” to @geocaching.com after submitting your resume.
A = The decimal value found in the third octet of the subnet mask for a network with a prefix size (CIDR notation) of 21.
B = The total number of IPv4 addresses in (all address ranges) reserved for private networks as defined in RFC 1918.
C = The output of the following command when run on the default "hosts" file from any version of Windows (released 2008 or later) and copied to a system running a recent linux distribution or Mac OS X:
sed '4,8d' hosts | grep -cv 'c[ao].*m'
D = In mySQL, the highest possible value that can be stored in a column with UNSIGNED INT data type.
E = The maximum size, expressed in MiB, of an ext3 filesystem with 2 KiB block size.
F = The ascii character code (in decimal) for the portion of a line break (EOL marker) in Windows format that's NOT present in the UNIX format.
G = The DHCP Option Code for MTU Timeout.
H = The number of 4 TB disks required to get 16 TB of usable storage in a RAID 60 (2 parity groups).
I = The permission mask in absolute mode for changing a file's permissions to "-rwxr-xr--" in unix.
J = The number of different FSMO roles that can be changed using ONLY the Active Directory Users and Computers snap-in in Windows Server 2003/2008/2012/2016.
K = The first version of Netscape Navigator to support animated GIFs.