Manager, Implementation Services and Support
The Implementation Services and Support (ISS) Team is responsible for ensuring customer success in the activation and setup of Avalara products and services and is a direct contributor to Avalara’s operational and financial success. The Manager, Implementation Services and Support provides leadership to their team of Implementation Specialists and is accountable for the success of customers in the Self-Serve implementation path. This leader is not only accountable for the performance of his/her direct team members, but also drives continuous improvement in the Self-Serve onboarding experience in partnership with peers across the organization.
The Manager, ISS monitors service operational service levels for all ISS functions, provides training and mentoring to team members, evaluates individual performance of Implementation Specialists, and evolves processes to serve customers better and with greater efficiency. The Manager also handles customer escalations that may arise, working across the organization to identify and resolve blocking issues so the customer can complete the implementation. The Manager works closely with other departments – including but not limited to Product Management, Business Technology, and Customer Learning - to collaborate and improve efficiency and customer experience.
- Directs the work of the Implementation Specialists including work assignment, performance evaluation, coaching and training.
- Manages customer escalations to unblock the implementation and address root cause.
- Provides day-to-day team leadership to achieve performance, operational goals and deliver great customer experience.
- Assists team to resolve issues, identifies risks and implements risk mitigation strategies and contingency plans as needed to ensure successful completion of customer implementation.
- Provide leadership and growth opportunities for Implementation Specialists.
- Ensures that the ISS team is equipped with proper tools and training to succeed serving customers; drives the evolution of capabilities deployed across the team.
- Serves as subject matter expert for the Self-Serve implementation path, ensuring that new products are ready for successful, efficient customer onboarding.
- Works with other departments to improve ISS team performance and inter-departmental processes.
- Demonstrates and promotes the Guiding Principles as laid out in the Mission 2 Mars, as well as the Manifesto of Avalara.
Qualifications (absolute must haves walking in the door):
- Demonstrated ability to assess new processes and technologies in order to related to and lead the team.
- Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with employees who bring a wide variety of talents and capabilities to the workplace.
- Demonstrated emotional intelligence, exhibiting the skills needed to understand and manage our own emotions, as well as the emotions of others.
Preferred Qualifications (great to have but not absolutely necessary):
- Experience managing an operational team against performance goals.
- Direct work experience in an implementation consultant or similar role.
- Familiarity with Sales and Use Tax and/or FinTech.