About Geocaching HQ
We are the global headquarters for the game of geocaching. Our apps and Geocaching.com website allow a global community of more than 10 million people to join in a real-world treasure hunt.
Our mission (and yours should you choose to accept it) is to inspire and enable discovery, exploration and adventure. Basically, everyone’s job here is to enable millions of people to have fun outside. How cool is that?
The Senior Systems Administrator’s primary focus is on designing, building, and supporting Geocaching’s systems and network infrastructure. This is achieved by strategizing, planning, and implementing hardware and software solutions to ensure optimal performance and availability of the company’s mission-critical applications.
As a member of a small IT team, you will have broad IT responsibilities that span several areas of IT. You will use your expertise in a wide range of technologies to successfully support our complex enterprise environment and will mentor and coach other team members to develop their skills.
What You’ll Do
- Configure, deploy, administer, and maintain Windows and Linux web/application servers, network and storage devices, databases, monitoring systems, backup systems, VMware environment, etc.
- Automate tasks using scripting languages and config management.
- Implement security policies and practices in accordance with best practices.
- Apply project management skills to design, lead, and coordinate on some of IT’s largest and most complex projects.
- Enthusiastically tackle routine systems administrator tasks that may fall to you from time to time as a member of a small team, including some end-user support workflow, such as managing printers and conference room equipment, facilitating employee access to hardware and software resources, and fielding miscellaneous support requests.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of the company’s infrastructure and industry best practices.
- Advocate for, and mentor other team members.
- 6+ years of experience administering enterprise-class server and network infrastructures.
- Advanced/expert-level experience with:
- Operating systems. Cross-platform expertise, multi-versed with Windows, Linux, and Mac environments.
- Linux server management (managing users and groups, filesystem security, Samba, fstab, cron, shell scripting, LVM, package management, syslog, secure shell, jails, SSL tunneling, PAM, etc).
- Configuration and deployment of common linux web and application servers (RabbitMQ, Postfix, Nginx, Node.js, etc) using configuration management systems (Saltstack preferred).
- Windows server deployment/management using config management (DSC preferred).
- Configuration of managed network devices (routers, layer 3 switches, firewalls, load balancers, and VPN appliances). Juniper & F5 experience preferred.
- Enterprise-class shared storage systems (allocating disks, RAID levels, caching, provisioning LUNs, cloning, mirroring, migrating data, etc).
- Comprehensive knowledge of:
- Network services (DNS, DHCP, SMTP, TLS, SNMP, SSH etc) and network device configuration (vlan tagging, link aggregation, routing, vpn tunneling, load balance methods, etc).
- VMware vSphere (all areas of deployment including registering HBAs, multipath, and configuration of DRS, VMware HA, VMFS volumes, vSwitches, iSCSI, and storage VMotion).
- Microsoft SQL Server (building and maintaining high availability groups, replication, sizing, troubleshooting, optimizing performance, backing up & restoring, configuring security, etc).
- Scripting languages and programmatic tools including powershell, bash, linux command-line tools, regular expressions, etc.
- Additional experience with:
- Administration of cloud environments (AWS, Azure, Google), hybrid on-prem/cloud interoperability, and data migration between environments.
- Configuration and administration of other non-MS SQL (MariaDB/Galera, ClickHouse, etc) and noSQL (Redis, MongoDB, Couchbase, Elasticsearch, etc) environments in high-availability configurations. Experience with data migration between different environments.
- Administration and buildout of Active Directory (group policies, administrative templates, sites and services, etc).
- Working in data centers (maintaining equipment, wiring/cabling devices, and server hardware deployment and troubleshooting).
- Preferred experience with:
- Commercial phone systems - Mailboxes, extensions, access licenses, paging groups, workgroups, hunt groups, PCM/MCM, SIP, softphones, etc.
- Configuring and implementing infrastructure load-testing tools.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- Leads by example and exemplifies our values in actions and behaviors
- Superb communication and collaboration skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Exhibits tact and proper judgment under pressure and in sensitive situations
- Desire to continue learning and to mentor others
- Self-directed and open to coaching/feedback
- Uses independent judgment to plan, organize, and prioritize workload
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to remain stationary for long periods of time. In this position, you must be able to regularly lift and/or move up to 30 pounds.
This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the only duties, responsibilities, and qualification for this job. Incumbents may be required to follow any additional related instructions, acquire related job skills and perform other related work as required.
Geocaching HQ embraces a diverse and inclusive workplace. Authenticity is one of our company core values and we strive to celebrate our differences. We encourage everyone to apply.