Blue Nile is seeking a Senior Systems Engineer to join the Web Operations Team. In this position, you will be part of a small, highly skilled team driving the infrastructure build-out of our emerging showroom strategy. Along with being an expert in leading networking, storage, and security technologies to support the build-out, you will need to have strong project management skills and the ability to manage vendors in order to ensure that we meet the growing demands of the business. You will be responsible for investigating, selecting, and implementing new solutions, evangelizing technologies and working through others to drive implementation at scale.
The ideal candidate knows how to design and deploy maintainable, secure, production-ready systems with appropriate monitoring, performance measurement, and support. Our stack favors Cisco networking, HP servers, additional open-source platforms and Windows technologies. We don't expect you to have experience with everything listed but come prepared to talk about what you know and show that you know how to learn.
Blue Nile seeks candidates who thrive in an entrepreneurial and dynamic environment and demonstrate a record of achievement. The successful candidate will have strong problem-solving skills, enthusiasm for learning new technologies, and a strong sense of ownership and responsibility. Come make your mark at a small company where you can make a difference and drive those projects to successful completion.
Blue Nile is the largest online retailer of certified diamonds, engagement rings and fine jewelry. Our corporate offices are in Seattle’s vibrant Pioneer Square district, home to the latest wave of internet startups and packed with restaurants and excellent access to transportation and entertainment. Our dress code favors jeans and our facilities include bike racks, showers, and great access to the waterfront and Myrtle Edwards Park for activities.
- Drive the implementation and build-out of Blue Nile’s retail IT infrastructure
- Design IT systems to maximize scalability and consistency while meeting the retail needs
- Select and manage vendors to aid in the delivery and maintenance of retail sites
- Work across other stakeholders to align on delivery and manage expectations
- Track, manage, and communicate status of multiple, simultaneous projects
- Provide operational leadership, introducing new technologies and techniques to the teams
- Work closely with team members in the broader Technology group to optimize performance and integrate new tools
- Develop a deep understanding of the business and make key recommendations based on that understanding
- Participate in on-call rotation with other team members
- College degree preferred
- 7+ years of experience in a Linux/Windows platform environment, designing and building mission-critical systems
- Strong skills in designing and building scalable, secure system architectures and networks
- Strong skill with Cisco networking, server technologies, secure and wide area networking
- Well-versed in data center operations, processes, and practices
- Strong communication skills; you will be working with a variety of technology and business leaders throughout the company
- Retail related construction experience including interface experience with architects, MEP and code compliance and installation of server equipment and enterprise alarm and surveillance systems
- Experience procuring vendors and managing their deliverables
- Familiarity in electrical engineering, security systems, hvac and other “facilities” related aspects
- Experience and interest in computing security technologies and practices (next-generation firewalls, HIDs, system hardening, SIEMs)
- Internet e-commerce experience highly desirable