Technical Operations Manager (DevOps)
Technical Operations Manager
Apptentive is a winner of the 2018 Seattle Business Magazine's Best Places to Work in Washington! Learn why we love working at Apptentive!
Apptentive gives product managers and CX leaders the keys to their customers’ hearts through new historical insights into brand loyalty to support customer-centric decisions. The company powers millions of customer interactions on over two billion devices, helping the world’s top brands—including Disney, JetBlue, Buffalo Wild Wings, Saks Fifth Avenue, Viacom, Zillow, and eHarmony—enhance customer love over time to improve customer experience.
As our Technical Operations Manager, you will be responsible for ensuring the uptime of our most critical development and customer facing systems. you will have a deep first-hand understanding of DevOps, including production support, CI/CD, and cloud service delivery providing a balance between Development and Operations
You will play an integral role in defining and assessing our organization's security strategy, architecture and practices. You will be required to effectively translate business objectives and risk management strategies into specific security processes enabled by security technologies and services. We expect you to be both a highly technical, hands-on engineer and an effective people and project manager.
Areas of responsibilities:
- Own and lead the delivery of new infrastructure components
- Establish KPIs and metrics that ensure a high bar for uptime, and provide deep visibility into the health of the sites.
- Establish a scalable Site Reliability Engineering function, including integrated, automated monitoring and Self-healing
- Provide 24x7 monitoring and response processes
- Ensure good capacity management, applying the right resources to the sites as they grow and workload changes.
- Lead in transforming traditional disaster recovery (DR) solutions to secure, agile, scalable, always-on, cloud-first environments.
- Develop and define goals, strategies, and initiatives in alignment with core engineering
- Develop and enforce our data retention policy, and establish protocol for retaining information for operational or regulatory compliance needs
- Build out processes and tools designed and deployed to protect sensitive business information
- Validate security configurations and access to security infrastructure tools
- Responsible for research and evaluation of new tools and technologies
- Developing Security and compliance, from threat monitoring to compliance with appropriate security standards (SSAE 16, ISAE 3402, etc.)
- Grow, mentor and manage a team to automate and manage large infrastructure
- Manage 3rd party vendor relationships and contracts
- Develop and manage projects from creation to production
- Manage cost control for developing solutions controlling our spend on data retention and other services and tools
- Manage and encourage a culture of documentation for operations
What will help you be successful in this role:
- Strong level of expertise in Software Development, DevOps, or Site Reliability
- Demonstrated ability in running and scaling all aspects of SaaS products, including: deep knowledge of infrastructure, availability and scaling across multiple regions, security, and release practices
- Experience working at small company/startup
- Experience deploying to and running on public cloud platforms, with particular experience in Amazon AWS. Running 24x7 support programs.
- Experience conducting DR, IT service continuity, incident response/recovery, or business continuity (BC) program activities.
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment tools
- Experience with modern open source infrastructure services and concepts; such as Kubernetes, ElasticSearch, and Docker
- People management experience focusing on results through inspiration
- 5+ years in DevOps roles
- Bachelors’/Masters in Computer Science or equivalent preferred
This person will report to our VP Engineering.
Apptentive helps thousands of companies build deeper, more meaningful relationships with millions of people around the world. We believe software is powering more relationships than ever before and that we can help make software about People. We’re building the platform to power customer communication for the modern business. We’re a rapidly growing, well-funded startup based in Seattle that’s passionate about building great products with a fun, dedicated hard-working team.
What We Offer
- Competitive salary and equity packages
- Unlimited paid time off (PTO) and generous family leave policies
- 401k, HRA/FSA and monthly Orca pass
- 100% company paid comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Paid professional development (conferences/courses)
- Weekly catered lunches
- Team events
- A chance to build something great with other amazing people
How We Work
- We have ownership on how we complete work and take responsibility for our outcomes
- We share information and learn from each other
- We pride ourselves on being adaptable because change is a constant
- We focus on the customer to give them a voice
- We make mistakes, learn and improve as we iterate
How We Do Not Work
- We are not aggressive or competitive with each other, and we greatly appreciate diverse thinking
- We are not defined by our roles. We get opportunities to work on new areas to expand our knowledge and abilities
- We don’t work at all hours, because we have friends and families, and they are important to us
We encourage diverse candidates to apply! Apptentive values diversity and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, veteran status or parental status.
This position is based at Apptentive in Downtown Seattle and offers competitive salary and benefits.
Principals only-- No recruiters please. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time.
Read Full Job Description