Technical Services Engineer- Contract
Ookla, the company behind Speedtest, is a small team of passionate individuals who have turned a clever idea into a thriving business, and have gained invaluable insight into the state of the Internet on a truly global scale. Every day, over 5 million people use our services to check their broadband and mobile data performance. This generates an incredible amount of data that ISPs, Mobile Carriers, and Governments rely on to make business critical decisions. If you are looking to join a small, nimble company, with global reach that is recognized as the industry benchmark worldwide, then Ookla might be the company for you.
We are looking for an innovative, hands-on, customer-focused Technical Services Engineer to work directly with high value customers that are licensing our industry-leading Speedtest technology. This is a contract to hire role. As a Technical Services Engineer, you will need to be exceptionally flexible and have a demonstrated ability to solve a wide range of complex technical and business challenges.
The ideal candidate will possess an uncanny ability to multi-task and independently prioritize their time to maximize business and customer benefit. They will be able to interact effectively across a wide range of functional roles and problem spaces, and will possess tremendous attention to detail. They will be able to work in an extremely fast paced, highly ambiguous, rapidly evolving environment. The ideal candidate must be able to communicate effectively with technical and non technical people across multiple geographies, and be able to develop effective customer relationships.
If you consider yourself to be a strong technologist that is motivated by opportunities to solve unique and challenging problems, if you have a strong desire to directly enable customer success, and if you want to work for a rapidly growing company that needs leaders instead of followers, this might be the place for you.
As a Technical Services Engineer, your broad responsibilities will include:
- Act as the primary pre-sales, onboarding, and support resource for potential and existing Speedtest Custom customers
- Resolve technical and product related questions, removing barriers in the sales process, as well as improve process and tools which support our host network
- Act as the primary resolution function for issues and questions raised by Speedtest Custom customers during and after service onboarding
- Personally troubleshoot customer-facing business and technical issues
- Partner with internal business and technical teams to ensure timely issue resolution when escalation is required
- Provide advanced technical support to host network partners, many of whom are seasoned engineers
- Monitor server performance around the world to identify and address trends and problems
- Champion and advocate for customer requirements within Ookla (be the customer’s voice)
- Continually develop your own knowledge and application of new technologies to support and enable growth of our customers.
- Think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges as you help our customers take advantage of Ookla’s products
- 2-5 years of technology-related support experience
- Strong technical problem solving skills with a demonstrated ability to adapt to new technologies and learn quickly
- Systems Administration experience (Linux or windows)
- Understanding of IP Networking (TCP/IP, IPSec, OpenVPN, DNS, HTTP, SSL/TLS, BGP, SMTP)
- Experience installing, configuring, and troubleshooting web servers (Apache, Nginx, IIS, etc)
- Experience directly interacting with technical customers via email, ticketing systems, or phone
- Network Administration and strong knowledge of internet topology
- Exceptional customer focus and bias for action
- Familiarity with internet, cellular and broadband technology and infrastructure a plus.
- Self-motivated with a track record of appropriate urgency and follow-through
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Self-starter who is excited about technology
- Strong verbal and written communications skills, able to effectively communicate across all levels of internal and client organizations.
- Experience supporting the needs of an international customer base a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
- Fluency in English is mandatory – Multi-lingual is an advantage
Until this role turns full time, you will not be eligible to participate in our benefits package. However, you will still get to participate in company perks (catered lunches, snacks and beverages etc). We will also provide you with the best hardware and software.