Technical Support Engineer
Glowforge is a beautiful device that sits on your desk. It uses a laser to carve and engrave products from raw materials like wood, leather, acrylic – even cardboard. If you haven’t already, check out our video on glowforge.com. While you’re there, you’ll notice something amazing: Glowforge is the largest crowdfunding campaign in history.
There is incredible demand for what we’re creating. It’s not a geeky tool for the tech elite or a garage workshop; we’re crafting an iconic product that is going to change the way people think about creativity. Our customers include consumers, digital designers, crafters, engineers, teachers, artists, and more.
Why we need you
Glowforge isn’t just a beautiful piece of hardware, it’s a living growing platform that includes hardware, cloud based software, a catalog of designs and a community of talented makers exploring the limits of what they can do with their Glowforge printer.
We want our customers to be delighted with their Glowforge but sometimes they hit a snag and need a little help. You’re one of the keys to their success, connecting the dots from an unexpected print experience to the piece of hardware that would cause their problem whether it’s a loose belt, damaged wheel or something else entirely. You’ll look at the trends and work to find the root causes of things that impact many of our customers. When our customers hit a snag you’ll be the difference between them walking away frustrated or coming away informed and excited to use their Glowforge for years to come.
Here's what you'll be doing
- Troubleshooting the tricky questions and working cross functionally to solve the big problems. What are our top five outstanding pain points for customers? What information and testing or troubleshooting would help product teams eliminate those pain points?
- Communicating elegantly. You’ll respond to our customer’s complex questions with easy to understand emails. You’ll gain a deep technical understanding of problems and teach the rest of the team what they need to know to resolve those problems for our customers.
- Writing. You’ll create both technical troubleshooting documents that are used by the team internally and self service articles that get our customers back on track.
- Mentoring. You’ll be a resource for the rest of the team, whether that’s as a subject matter expert or sounding board to help work through problems. You’ll help team members get unstuck when they hit a wall and take on the obstacles they can’t get past.
- Breathing. You’ll keep a positive disposition and level head even during the worst of times - like late on a holiday when a customer is rightfully upset because something’s broken, and you’re the only one they have to talk to about it.
You need these qualifications
- You have a four-year technical degree or equivalent experience.
- You have professional experience working closely with a variety of people and helping them solve their problems.
- You are very good at troubleshooting technical problems involving computer controlled mechanical devices.
- You write well, communicate clearly, and listen like a champion.
It would be nice if...
- You have 7+ years of experience working with customers to solve their technical challenges.
- Your motto is “I can fix that.” You are the person who family and friends go to for answers when their technology isn’t working, and you love it.
- You have experience working with 3D printers, CNC mills, laser cutter/engravers, or other fabrication technology.
- You have experience working with vector design or CAD software, Adobe Illustrator, Inkscape, Fusion 360, Solidworks or similar
- You love making things - knitting, woodworking, 3D printing, furniture building - it doesn’t matter what.
Please send us your resume, and – more importantly – a cover letter that tells us about your interest here. If you have public examples of your writing, like a blog or website, please send us a link to those too. We’re excited to meet you!
One more, very important thing: we are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We’re strongly committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all employees and all applicants for employment. For us, this is the only acceptable way to do business.
Read Full Job Description