Chief Product Officer
Apptio is the leading provider of cloud-based Technology Business Management(TBM) software that helps CIOs and CFOs manage the business of Information Technology. Apptio is in the process of going private with Vista Equity Partners for $2B. Vista is investing in Apptio as they clearly see this as a big platform opportunity to accelerate growth.
Apptio is the category creator and leader in the TBM (Technology Business Management) space. With the complexities around IT (multi-cloud, hybrid cloud, SaaS, digital transformations, agile development), CIOs need a system of record to manage, analyze and assess the technology spend across their organization and feel confident that their investment is being utilized at the greatest level. Enterprise software businesses count on Apptio’s differentiated analytics platform and an industry standard cost model (ATUM), that is served by 5 application families including cost transparency, IT planning, benchmarking, insights and Bill of IT from their technology departments.
Headquartered in Bellevue Washington, Apptio serves over 500 customers which include 55% of the Fortune 100. Customers include Cisco, JP Morgan, Fedex, Microsoft, Nike, Barclays, ATT, Great West Life and many more.
In close partnership with the CEO and Apptio’s executive leadership team, the Chief Product Officer (CPO) will evolve and drive the vision, roadmap and go-to-market strategy for Apptio’s Technology Business Management products. The position reports to the CEO.
The Chief Product Officer will lead product marketing and product management functions for the company. This covers the full product lifecycle:
- Establishing the product vision and strategy, partnering with engineering, marketing, field and entire company leadership
- Recruit/own customer advisor boards, prospect research, win-loss analysis etc.
- Owning positioning, pricing and packaging to position Apptio’s products effectively.
- Developing and driving the GTM strategy to land Apptio’s value proposition in our field and channel
This role is customer and market facing and you will interact confidently with C-Suite executives and have a strong customer and field presence. You will be a champion for customer focus in the organization and will lead by example in spending a significant amount of time in the field with customers and partners. We expect you to be obsessed about prospects and customers to understand why customers buy, why they don’t buy, and what needs they have that Apptio can solve via new modules and innovation.
Responsibilities and requirements
- Lead a team of experienced Product Management and Product Marketing professionals; recruit and develop elite product management and product marketing talent
- Define product vision aligned with company strategy
- Develop and drive product roadmap aligned with product vision and business goals
- Own product positioning, pricing, packaging and messaging for Apptio’s products
- Develop and drive GTM plans aligned with business plan
- Contribute as key member of Apptio’s leadership helping to set overall vision and strategy.
- Champion the voice of the customer; establish one-to-many customer and partner forums for product feedback; engage deeply and personally with customers, partners and the field
- Act as spokesperson for Apptio and product strategy in public events, with analysts and press, with Apptio’s investors and board and with customers.
- Own business reviews of product lines on a monthly and quarterly basis
- You are a leader of product management and product marketing functions, especially multi-product portfolio
- You demonstrate experience defining long term product vision
- You can drive definition of market leading SaaS applications
- You have experience successfully bringing new products to market; experience defining and executing GTM strategies and plans; deep knowledge in modern marketing methods for cloud-based software products
- You have experience defining compelling product messaging and positioning; deep expertise in product packaging and pricing
- Proven leader and motivator. Entrepreneurial, unafraid to roll-up sleeves, get it done and "lead from the front”
- Track record of success in large companies and hyper-growth ventures with a focus on building high performing product organizations.
- You show strong customer focus; demonstrated experience in utilizing competitive intelligence, market research, customer forums and community feedback
- You will be an expert in enterprise software, cloud software, technology trends and Enterprise IT
- You will have a deep strategic insight and business judgment and demonstrate extraordinary communication and interpersonal skills
- You are an attractor of extraordinary talent; strong leader and manager with demonstrated experience leading multi-function teams
- You are a strong collaborator: demonstrated ability to work across a large organization
- Be able to lead, motivate and inspire the global team to outperform expectations and do what it takes to win.
- Transparent, results driven with low ego to drive results – unafraid to admit your mistakes and course-correct
- A Graduate degree is a plus, preferably MS in CS and/or an MBA.
Able to work in the Seattle area (Bellevue, WA) and able to travel frequently.