Engineering Technical Product Manager
OfferUp is on a mission to create the simplest, most trustworthy way to buy and sell locally. The free app for iOS and Android makes it easy for people to post items for sale with just a picture from their smartphones and find great deals on items nearby. Now the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., OfferUp brings millions of people together to discover more value right where they are.
At a Glance
- A top shopping app on iTunes and Google Play
- $14+ Billion In Transactions in 2016
- Geekwire App of Year
- 35+ Million Downloads
Engineering Technical Product Manager
We are looking for a Technical Program/Product Manager to help lead our Engineering culture, tooling and environment. OfferUp is growing fast as a business and the engineering team has grown significantly in size significantly over the last year. While we have built a world-class engineering team we aspire to have a world-class DevOps culture and environment - we are looking for the leaders who will guide and shape this!
As this is a new role in a fast growing company, you will be responsible for making most of the decisions about how we instrument, measure and monitor the development process, how we report on status, respond to live site issues and deliver world class tools to our engineers.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Working with engineering leadership to establish goals and metrics for engineering velocity; balancing and driving measurable improvements in operation stability; engineering impact and velocity; and quality and risk reduction.
- Deliver data and dashboards to demonstrate impact and results.
- Being the “product manager” for the end-to-end Infrastructure toolchain, working collaboratively with engineers and engineering leaders to understand and meet their requirements through tools, processes and culture. Balancing short-term needs and wins with long term investments.
- Developing processes to coordinate and drive cross-engineering initiatives.
- Working with security engineers to develop and evangelize best practices and tools to support a culture of Security-Conscious engineering.
- Helping to identify and evaluate third-party vendors, and manage the technical aspects of the relationship.
- Communicate status, results and issues, including developing a communication plan for all of engineering.
- Continuously demonstrating OfferUp’s core values: #Driven #Neighborly #Adaptable.
- 7+ years’ experience in technical program management in a related industry, preferably consumer-facing software products
- Experience in managing software development projects
- Experience coordinating cross-functional teams
- Experience building agile processes, project management, and managing release schedules
- Experience managing multiple, fast-paced initiatives
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and writing skills
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, Information Systems/Technology, Information Science, or related discipline
This job is not primarily a project management role - we are looking for someone to innovate to build a world class engineering culture, not just to manage other people’s projects. Similarly we are not looking for someone to lay down process dogma - while process is important at OfferUp we believe in empowering people over process.\
To be successful in this role you will have to collaborate with engineering and other leaders from across the company. You will both identify best practices that OfferUp should adopt, and develop best practices that will be adopted by other organizations. This is a role that will require great leadership skills to drive change across the entire organization.
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.